Last Updated on July 31, 2020
Are you asking, “What should I put on my Christmas list?”
Your family and friends have been bugging you, but you have no idea what to tell them.
Well, guess what? You’re not alone!
There are plenty of people who have no idea what to put on their Christmas lists. I’m one of them.
You’re maybe a little like me in some way. Perhaps you have very few things that you really want. Maybe you regularly experience buyer’s remorse, or second-guess every possible purchase.
Well, worry no longer. I’ve got you covered.
What to Put on Your Christmas List
Please note that this post contains affiliate links. This means that if you purchase something you see on our site we may receive a commission at no cost to you. Read our full disclosure here.
Here’s what we have for you, sorted roughly into the following categories:
- Practical things to put on your Christmas list
- Active things to put on your Christmas list
- Entertaining things to put on your Christmas list
- Sophisticated things to put on your Christmas list
- Delicious things to put on your Christmas list
- Ridiculous things to put on your Christmas list
- Stuff you didn’t know you could put on your Christmas list
Practical Things to Put on Your Christmas List
This is the stuff that you may not have but could really use. Nice little accessories that make life easier, or quality products that you can rely on for years to come.
- Robot vacuum – your floors will always need cleaning
- Vacuum sealer – to learn why we think this is one of the best gifts ever, see here
- Air compressor – if you have a car, bicycle, or anything inflatable
- Vehicle jump starter – you’ll be glad to have this someday
- Journal – journaling is great for promoting a healthy mind
- Laptop – everybody needs one in the Internet Age
- Label maker – heck yes you know you want one now that I’ve said it
- Good quality luggage – whether you travel abroad or couch surf, you need a place to put your stuff
- Multi-tool – everything you need, plus bonus points for being personalized
- Door security camera – peace of mind, fun tech, and useful for visitors and package deliveries
Active Things to Put on Your Christmas List
If you like (or want) to keep active, here are some terrific ideas. From straight up exercise equipment to goofy outdoor fun and games, use your imagination and you’ll find some stuff you really want.
- Treadmill – stay fit while listening to audiobooks & podcasts
- Personalized tumbler – drink those smoothies on the go
- Sports gear – for your favorite sport, activity, or hobby
- Hoverboard scooter – unsure whether to put this in “active” or “just plain fun” list
- Tent – because camping is fun
- Sleeping bag – see above, but also you never know when you’re going to need one
- Yard games – giant Jenga, corn hole, ring toss, Slammo, ladder toss
- Kayak – perfect for the river, the lake, or the ocean
- Ski or snowboard equipment – be sure to ask for a season pass to the local ski slopes!
- Antler ring toss – cheap holiday fun for the whole family
- Basketball hoop – portable, wall-mounted, or mini for inside
Entertaining Things to Put on Your Christmas List
Sometimes you just want to relax and have a little fun. Here are some great ideas for personal and family entertainment.
- Vinyl record player – get one with some built-in nostalgia
- Portable Bluetooth speaker – the quality of sound is actually pretty incredible
- Quality headphones – the over-ear style helps protect your hearing (as compared to earbuds)
- Retro video games – there’s the Original or Super NES, GameBoy, mini arcade games, and much more
- LEGO sets – for instance big ol’ Star Wars spaceships or Architecture replicas of famous landmarks
- Board games – here are 10 classic board games and 10 modern classic games
- Adult coloring books – don’t forget to add a set of colored pencils
- Foosball table – you know you want one
Sophisticated Things to Put on Your Christmas List
If you’re looking to class up your life a little, here are some great ideas to get you started.
- Custom passport holder
- Wrist watch
- Geode bookends
- Personalized wine glasses
- Champagne saber
- Personalized cosmetic bag
- Monogram dopp kit
- Custom engraved wooden pen
Delicious Things to Put on Your Christmas List
If you love to eat… scratch that. You love to eat. Everybody does. Maybe you love to cook or bake or grill as well. Maybe you’re a foodie or a connoisseur of coffee, wine, tea, seasonings, or a thousand other edible things. Here are some ideas for your list.
- Beer, wine, or spirits – especially seasonal brews and high-end bottles you might not purchase often
- A favorite family recipe – Christmas cookies, fudge, Chex mix, friendship bread… you know what you like, ask for it!
- Pour over coffee maker – experts agree it’s the best way to make it
- Barrel-aged hot sauce kit – because making your own barrel-aged hot sauce at home is just plain wonderful
- Gourmet chocolates – it’s a classic gift choice for a reason
- Grill – if you love grilled meat, maybe it’s time to up your game
- Personalized apron – if you love to cook, keep your clothes fresh while also looking good
- Custom engraved bottle opener – a great stocking stuffer idea for yourself
Ridiculous Things to Put on Your Christmas List
Funny, crazy, expensive, and off-the-beaten-path gift ideas you just might find will be the perfect fit.
- Crochet tank slippers – handcrafted insanity for your feet
- Yard of candy bars – this is a fun new trend, 3 feet of your favorite candy bar (you could also do a bulk box of bars, gum, fruit snacks, Twinkies – whatever)
- Handcrafted pool table – because billiards is for winners
- Avacado pool floatie – avacados and pools go together like peanuts and butter
- Selfie leggings – personalize some leggings with the face of your choice
- Floating picnic table – this thing is for serious fun only
- Human whack-a-mole – a full-sized inflatable game where you whack your friends as they pop up
- 14′ outdoor movie projector screen – plus a projector and sound system
- Hot air balloon – or at least a ride in one
- Full-size retro arcade games – this one comes with Ms Pac-Man, Galaga, and more
Stuff You Didn’t Know You Could Put on Your Christmas List
Ok, I’m sure you realize you can put whatever you want on your list. But here are some things you might have never thought about before.
- Personalized oak aging barrel – age your own wine and spirits at home, in a real oak barrel
- Plant a tree in your name – instead of stuff, have a tree planted in your name to help restore devastated areas of our National Forests. You’ll get a certificate and maps/photos/info on your tree(s)
- Charitable gifts – the link will take you to Compassion International’s gift catalog, which includes much-needed support for things in tough communities like a baby’s medical care, emergency food and water, fruit trees, goats/chickens/cows, music lessons, scholarships, mosquito netting, and much more
- Personalized sound wave merch – have wedding vows, baby’s first words, a quote, or your favorite song put into sound waves and printed or engraved for unique framed art, bracelets, and more
- Folding photo cube – personalized with your favorite photos, each fold-over reveals a new image
- Murder mystery subscription box – for all you Agatha Christie and Sherlock fans
- Massage chair – the ultimate way to relax and decompress at home
- A tailored suit
- A pet – cat, dog, fish, horse (you can dream!)
- Car, truck, motorcycle, RV
- Art – originals, commissioned, or replicas of famous works
- Autographed memorabilia – baseball cards, movie posters, books
What to Put on Your Christmas List for Various Types & Interests
For further inspiration, I’ll link to some great gift idea articles based on hobbies, occupations, interests, demographics, and more.
- Women – 21 Perfectly Personalized Gifts for Her
- Men – 21 Best Christmas Gifts for Men
- Foodie – 21 Great Gifts for Food Lovers
- Horse Lover – 21 Gifts for Horse Lovers & Equestrians
- Card Shark – 21 All-In Poker Gifts for the Card Shark
- Farmer – 21 Useful & Creative Gifts for Farmers
- Coach – 21 Creative Gift Ideas for a Sports Coach
- Social Worker – 10 Social Worker Gifts to Honor Their Service
- Engineer – 21 Brilliant Engineer Gift Ideas
- Lawyer – 21 Gift Ideas for Lawyers, Attorneys, and Law Students
Those are just a sampling. Browse our many, many themed gift guides here.
More Fun Stuff
To wrap things up, here are a few more random gift ideas we think will merit a place on your list.
Pop-A-Shot Basketball Game
I was surprised at how relatively affordable this thing is. Loads of fun for your game room!
Firefly Light Sconces
Cute, rustic, fun, affordable.
Best Ever Personalized Tumbler
Custom engraved tumbler with your choice of color, size, and personalized text.
Luxury Edition of Clue Board Game
The classic murder mystery game just got better. Burled wood sided, foil-stamped board, and a 3-dimensional view of every room.
Personalized Wall-Mounted Bottle Opener
Handcrafted in Oregon from solid wood, includes personalization. Many more designs available here.
Millennium Falcon Toy Model Kit
A simple yet fun replica of the most famous spaceship in sci-fi that you can build yourself.
Custom Engraved Bird Feeder
Feed the birds with a personalized touch.
A Useless Box That Turns Itself Off Every Time You Turn It On
Yes, that’s really what this is.
Big Stuffed Animals
Above, it’s a 2-1/2 foot long whale. They also make octopuses, manatees, belugas, sea stars, and more.
Personalized Decanter Set
Classy glass decanter? Check. Personalized laser etching? Check. Matching lowball glasses? Check.
For the kids, you’ll say.
Whiskey Aging Barrel (Personalized)
Age your own whiskey (or bourbon, rum, etc) at home in an authentic oak barrel. It’s personalized, too.
Archery is a great low-impact outdoor activity, and super fun. This is the best starter set out there, the standard for most school archery teams. Our family has two and they are awesome.
Rock ‘Em Sock ‘Em Boxing Robots
The original fighting red and blue robots are back.
Electric Neck & Back Massager
Because adulting is hard.