Last Updated on September 22, 2022
Let’s talk about the very best Halloween date ideas! If you and your significant other are less like Ken and Barbie and more like Morticia and Gomez, then you already know that Halloween is the best date night.
Spooky costumes (matching, of course), hot cider, parties, trick-or-treating with Wednesday and Pugsly, bobbing for apples, and waking the dead are naturally on the table, but here are some more great at-home and out things for you and your sweetie.
Let’s make this October 31st one for the record books!
Best Halloween Date Ideas
Our website is supported by our users. We sometimes earn a commission when you click through the affiliate links on our website. Learn more here.
1. Halloween Party
If no one is hosting one, then you guys are up! Don’t hold back: from the invites and costumes (because costumes are a given) to the music and theme. Oh, and of course, friends!
Throw a party that will be remembered for years to come. We have some great costume ideas below, so keep scrolling, little ghouls.
Use these printable Halloween party invites to invite your favorite witches and warlocks!
2. Spend the Night in a Haunted Hotel
Take the thrill to another level by spending a sleepless night in a haunted hotel. Do a quick google search to find one in your area (you might be surprised) or check out this list. Be sure to capture what you see on camera so you can send it over to your local ghostbusters!
3. Fall Festivals
It’s sweater weather, goblins! Find your nearest fall festival and really get your October on. The bonus? You’ll find instant friends who love autumn as much as you do. Talk about being in your element.
4. Go Trick or Treating
Are you really too old for trick-or-treating? I mean, really? Of course not! Besides, you don’t want that epic costume to go to waste. If you feel really silly, head to the homes in your local college town ー they’re used to the “older crowd” and won’t even bat an eye.
5. Rent a Cabin
Maybe don’t follow the classic horror flick approach… but a cozy cabin where you can cuddle up with your boo while you watch the leaves fall? What could be more perfect?
Don’t forget to pack your favorite scary stories to read aloud, and a nice selection of creepy films.
6. Go on a Zombie Walk
Find your local zombie walk and get ready to lace up those sneakers ー you’ve got monsters to chase! Until now, you thought marathons weren’t for you… pfft. Think again.
If walking/running really isn’t your style, you can always sign up to paint faces.
7. Local Drive-In Theater
Most towns show Halloween movies at their local drive-in theater or park theater. Check out what’s playing near you. Pack some blankets, bug spray, snacky-snacks, and don’t forget to bring your favorite ghouls!
8. Visit a Haunted Thrill Park
Did you know theme parks host Fright Fests or similar Halloween themed nights? Look into your local parks and see what’s out there. If there aren’t any close by, why not consider a road trip? Make it an epic adventure that you’ll remember forever!
9. Take The Adventure Challenge
Choose a date night activity from The Adventure Challenge, and put a spooky spin on it while you enjoy a fun and romantic night in your Halloween costumes.
Go see a movie in-costume, eat at a fancy restaurant in a vampire cape, go see a local play in your Winnie-the-Pooh onesie… you get the idea!
10. Have a Romantic, Sunset Cemetery Picnic
Of course, don’t disrespect your surroundings and clean up after yourself, but finding a beautiful spot that overlooks a cemetery can add a spooky touch to an already romantic date.
This actually used to be a “thing” back before modernity and technology and all that nonsense ruined a perfectly good date night idea.
11. Go on a Haunted Ghost Tour
Whether it’s a haunted house, farm, forest, hotel, or theater, going on a ghost tour is another level of spooky. Do a quick google search to find something in your area, and sign up early if you want to go on Halloween night.
Don’t forget your flashlight!
12. Couple’s Night Horror Movie Marathon
Whether it’s just the two of you or you’re with all your favorite couples, spend the night being scared movie after movie. No matter if you’re into ghouls and ghosts or horror and suspense, you can snuggle in and marathon all of your favorites.
Keep things exciting by switching it up and taking turns picking the flick. Don’t forget to pop the corn, pass around the drinks, and decorate the house!
Click here to see a list of our favorite classic Halloween movies!
13. Adrenaline Experiences
Not all scary experiences have to be about ghosts. Raise your adrenaline another way on Halloween with these exciting experiences! Do something that really scares you and scratch it right off your bucket list.
Now, time to put those nerves to the test.
14. Spooky Photoshoot
Get dressed up in your favorite fall outfit or costumes and have a cute couple photoshoot. Go all out with matching themes like Frankenstein and his bride, your favorite swashbuckling duo, Bonnie and Clyde, Al Capone and his cash… the possibilities are endless!
15. Go on a Couple’s Hayride
You know you want to. Find a local farm that offers hayrides and giddy-up! Sure, you might be surrounded by children but who cares? They know fun when they see it, so why shouldn’t you?
16. Enjoy the Neighborhood Decorations
Go for a walk around your neighborhood and enjoy everyone’s decorations! Get ideas for next year’s garden and lawn decor, and maybe bring along the dog and a thermos of hot, buttered rum.
17. Go to a Haunted House
Better yet, go to all the haunted houses and find your favorite! If these really float your creepy boat, consider signing up to be an actor. All of my family members have done this, and it’s always a favorite part of their year.
18. Dia de Los Muertos (AKA: Day of the Dead)
This holiday is normally celebrated on November 1st, but there is nothing wrong with starting the celebration the night before! You can play with face painting, decorating sugar skull candies, making paper flags and more. Invite the neighbors and try making it an annual tradition.
You can go family friendly for the littles on this one, or make it extra ghoulish with just your adult friends.
Halloween Date Night at Home
19. Decorate Pumpkins
It’s a beloved tradition for a reason. And why not make it competitive? Take photos of your creations and post them online with a Vote For Your Favorite button. Winner gets bragging rights and a prize!
20. Solve a Murder with Hunt a Killer
Channel your inner Sherlock or Miss Marple by solving a murder. Hunt A Killer is thrilling and has just the right amount of creepiness. Try not to get hooked!
21. Listen to Your Favorite Horror Story Podcasts
Like the grown-up version of spooky stories ‘round the campfire, horror podcasts are the way to go. Go on, now. Build that blanket fort and get listening.
Some Popular Creepy Podcasts to consider:
- The NoSleep Podcast
- Scary Stories Told in the Dark
- Knifepoint Horror
- Hillbilly Horror Stories
- MrCreepyPasta’s Storytime
Related: Free Date Night Ideas
22. Death By Trivia
Know-it-alls, rejoice! Now you can put your morbid knowledge to the test with this super fun game. Invite all your horror podcast listeners, scary film aficionados, and thriller readers to the party to see who is crowned winner.
23. Spookless Drink and Cigars
Feel like doing, well, nothing on Halloween night? Chill outside with your favorite cigar and drink (for fall weather, I recommend a warm latte with a chocolate or coffee flavored cigar).
Kick back and enjoy all the little trick-or-treaters, cool weather, and good-ole community.
24. Murder Mystery Dinner
What’s better than dinner? One where someone gets murdered, of course! Host a murder mystery party and watch your friends and family try to out-do each other by solving the case.
25. Thrill Each Other with Halloween Pranks
Up the ante with some entertaining Halloween pranks. This is bound to become a new annual tradition. Forget bobbing for apples or going on a hayride ー this is one activity that will outshine them all. Check out this article for 10 fun ideas!
26. Scary Story Competition
Give it your best shot and see who can tell the scariest story… It’s like being at camp, but without the uncomfortable beds, weird counselors, and you have better food. Give your guests plenty of time to come up with their story so everyone is at their scariest. Don’t forget prizes!
27. Read Halloween Books Together
Go old-school and read aloud some truly scary books. Cuddle up, buttercup ー things are about to get spooky.
Here are some frighteningly good options:
28. Bonfire, Stars, and S’mores
29. Dance Together to a Halloween Playlist
Bring the party with your sick dance moves! Polish off the dust from your Roger Rabbit, Sprinkler, Mashed Potato, and of course, your signature freestyle.
30. Have Fun Making Halloween Crafts
Get down with your crafty self. Invite all your favorite ghouls and hobgoblins over and make a night of crafty fun. By the end, you’ll have enough of everything to transform your house into a work of art!
31. Solve Mystery Puzzles
What’s more fun than puzzles with friends? Ones that ask you to solve a mystery after putting them together, of course!
32. Cozy Up with Pumpkin Lattes and Spooky Movies
The caffeine will keep you awake for a whole marathon of spooktacular films! Pass around snacks and some blankets too to ward off chills and satisfy munchies.
33. Decorate Haunted Cookie Houses
34. Halloween Paint & Sip
Look into your local Paint and Sip classes and sign-up for a spooky one. Get your friends together and enjoy some painting (and some sipping), then take home your new work of art. You might be better at sipping than painting, but who knows?
35. Celebrate Reformation Day
You’ve heard of Martin Luther ー not that Martin Luther (King, Jr.), but the one he was named after. The ‘OG’ Martin Luther was a monk who sparked the Protestant Reformation by nailing 95 Theses (theological points for debate) to a church door in Wittenberg, Germany.
He did this on All Hallow’s Eve, October 31st in the year 1517. Ever since, Protestant and Reformed Christians have celebrated October 31st as Reformation Day.
Here are a few ideas for a Reformation Day date night:
- Dress up Renaissance-style in fancy clothes, or as humble monks and peasants
- Have dinner and brews at a German Biergarten
- Watch Luther, the 2003 film starring Joseph Fiennes
- Sing classic Reformation hymns like A Mighty Fortress Is Our God
- Start reading The Heart of the Reformation devotional together
36. Create a Fall Bucket List
Sit down together and fill out everything you want to do before fall/winter is over! It can be as simple as carving pumpkins together, visiting a corn maze, or something more grand like taking a haunted road trip, or you know… waking the dead.
37. Hand Out Candy
Seems easy enough, huh? Add some laughs for both of you by putting on a show for the kids!
Spend time decorating the outside with spider webs, spooky noise machines, and fog machines; then get into character with some awesome costumes before handing out the best-of-the-best candy. You’re going to be the best house in the ‘hood.
More Great Halloween Date Night Ideas
Halloween Movies for Couples
You can’t go wrong with a spooky movie fest with your favorite ghoul-loving girl or boy. Plus, the creepy scenes are MADE for cuddling.
Romantic Halloween Movies
- Edward Scissorhands (1990)
- A Ghost Story (2017)
- Tim Burton’s Corpse Bride (2005)
- Twilight (2008)
- Sweeney Todd (2007)
Funny Halloween Movies
- Warm Bodies (2013)
- Scary Movie (2000)
- Zombieland (2009)
- Goosebumps (2015)
- The Adams Family (1991)
- Hocus Pocus (1993)
Classic Halloween Movies
- Beetlejuice (1988)
- Halloweentown (1998)
- The Conjuring (2013)
- The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)
- Friday the 13th (1980)
- Coraline (2009)
Couples Halloween Costumes
Peanut Butter & Jelly
They’ve been together forever for a reason! Stick together all night with this cute costume.
Wayne & Garth from Wayne’s World
Get these fun costumes from Wayne’s World, and “PARTY ON!”
Matching Glow Stick Costume
How cute would you two look in a pair of these? Your party guests will love you in your matching glow stick costumes almost as much as you two do.
Soap & Loofah
I mean, you just can’t do justice to one without the other, right? Just like you two cuties.
Witches & Wizards
Keep the spook alive with this classic witch and wizard costume. It’s old-school fun done right.
State Farm and Progressive
Make ‘em laugh with State Farm and Progressive costumes. They were made for one another, after all.
Barbie & Ken
This funny costume will make you both the bells of the ball!
Make Homemade Candy
Save time this spooky season with these easy and oh-so delicious monster cookies! Also yummy for handing out to trick-or-treaters. All eyes will be on you!
DIY Rock Candy
Who knew you could make your own rock candy?! How fun!
Caramel Apple Slices
Sticky, sweet, and the definition of autumn, these caramel apple slices are a little bit easier and less messy than their traditional counterparts.
Twix Bars at Home
Yummers! Once you have tried the homemade version of these favorite candy bars, you might not ever go back to store bought.
These cute strawberry ghosts will be a hit at the Halloween party or while watching one of the romantically spooky movies above.
Cook a Ghoulish Halloween Dinner
Watch your favorite hobgoblins, witches, and wizards gobble these up right before your eyes! Get some protein in ‘em before you head out to a haunted house.
Find Catherine McCord’s delicious Mummy Dogs recipe right here at Weelicious!
Ghostly Shepherd’s Pie
This ghostly shepherd’s pie will be the king of the table. It’s delightfully ghoulish, but also aromatic and delicious.
Simple Pumpkin Soup
This is so tasty ladelled into mugs and spooned into your hungry boy’s and ghoul’s mouths!
A Witch’s Feast
Have a veritable and certifiable feast with this game plan! All the witches and spooktacular friends in your life will have happy tummies and RSVP for next year’s dinner.
Read Next: Halloween Party Ideas
- 44 Best Gift Exchange Games & Clever Ideas for the Holidays How can I make my gift exchange more fun? Are you tired of just drawing names for the yearly holiday gift exchange? You want to breathe some new, crea...
- 13 Best Gifts for a 13 Year Old Girl Perfect for the tween going into the teen years, these sweet ideas are sure to please! We don't know about you, but 13 year old girls are as eclectic...
- 101 Best Old Age Jokes for Birthday Cards Getting old is no joke. **Pregnant pause.......** Of course it is! Getting old is hilarious. With each passing year, it's best to share a laugh about...
- How to make Homeless Care Kits that ACTUALLY help So you want to bless the homeless or those less fortunate than you, but you don't want your efforts to be counterproductive. What should you put in ho...
- 3rd Anniversary Gifts: Best 3-Year Ideas (Traditional & Modern) Whew! You made it through the first two years of wedded bliss. "They" say the first two years are the hardest. Let's hope so. Marriage is a beautiful...
- 12 Amazingly Clean Movies You’ve Probably Never Seen Here are 12 amazing (and amazingly clean) movies you've probably never seen. Maybe you've never even heard of these. All the better, because you're in...
- 100 Hilarious Quote Ideas for DIY Funny Birthday Cards You can spend five bucks on a pre-made card that is moderately funny, or you can make your own DIY funny birthday card that is actually hilarious. It'...
- 10 Heartwarming Sympathy Gift Ideas for a Grieving Friend When someone close to you loses a loved one, you want to do something to express your condolences and communicate that you are grieving alongside your...
- 50 Perfect Retirement Gifts That Retirees Actually Love What's a better excuse for a party than a retirement? We can't think of anything! And what are some great retirement gifts for the well-deserved guest...
- 200 Simple Birthday Wishes for Everyone, at Every Age When it comes to wishing someone a happy birthday, you want to show your gratitude and love with the right words to say. Often, short and sweet...