Last Updated on July 31, 2020
Coaches put in much more time, effort, emotion, and mental energy into their craft than most people realize. It isn’t all just blowing whistles and yelling at kids while they run sprints.
For some, it’s the late nights scratching out names on a clipboard to ensure that each young teamster gets a fair share of playing time, or the burden of worry for cutting them from the only constructive activity in their rough life.
For others, it is the hassle of politics and money concerns while you are trying to keep a winning record and hold on to your job. And for still more coaches, it’s the simple joy of watching young athletes overcome obstacles to triumph on and off the field, then staying behind to pack the equipment away and dump out the watered-down Gatorade cooler.
Yes, a coach puts a lot of work in to their team. Because of this, despite their often gruff exterior many coaches have a streak of the softie inside… somewhere. That’s why you want to get them the perfect coach’s gift. You want to show them that you see their hard work, their long hours, and their ability to put in all on hold for a kid who can’t figure out algebra.
So here we have gathered for you the very best gift ideas for sports coaches. These items include unique, creative, and personalized items, as well as classic sporting accessories and traditional coaching tools. We hope this helps you find a great thank-you gift for a coach, a meaningful retirement gift, or just the right touch for a personal birthday gift.
21 Sports Coach Gift Ideas
Please note that this post contains affiliate links. This means that if you purchase something you see on our site we may receive a commission at no cost to you. Read our full disclosure here.
1. PERSONALIZED Coach Gift Tumbler MUG
Every coach knows the importance of proper hydration… or at least a good strong cup of coffee for those early-morning practices.
You can get the personalized Coach tumbler pictured above (and below) here.
Our YETI and Polar Camel tumblers are double-walled, vacuum sealed, and will keep drinks hot (or cold) for hours. Plus they include custom laser etching of anything you like, no additional charge!
(YETI is the high-end brand name. Polar Camels are comparable in every way, just at half the price. We offer both.)
Choose a tumbler as your perfect gift idea for a coach and watch them use it year-round. More sizes and styles available here.
2. CUSTOMIZED CHAMPIONSHIP RING BOX
For the coach with plenty of championship rings, this commemorative wooden ring box is the perfect gift. Genuine walnut wood, made in the USA, hinged lid with real glass, and a custom laser engraved name plate that can include team logos and more.
3. BOTTLE OPENER RETIREMENT GIFT
Here is a memorable, personalized, and sure-to-be-used retirement gift idea for a sports coach. Made in the USA from solid wood with a gorgeous cast iron bottle opener, this beast is engraved to order to celebrate the legacy of a retiring coach.
4. CUSTOM BOBBLEHEAD
How about something totally unique: A personalized bobble head made to look like coach! These collectible dolls can be made for any sport, with team color shirts and a custom head, all handcrafted from polymer clay.
See more styles and themes (including groomsmen gifts, hunting, doctors, couples, and more) here.
5. PERSONALIZED VINTAGE COACH SIGN
A beautiful personalized vintage sign that will look great in any coach’s office, this piece is crafted in the USA from furniture-grade wood, screen printed in a timeless design, and distressed by hand.
The hanging name board can be personalized with the coach’s name and more. Use the second line for a special championship season, to note the coach’s role or sport, or for the team or school name.
And of course the centerpiece of this coach gift is a hand-carved relief in three dimensions of a classic coach’s whistle. A truly one-of-a-kind gift for the sports coach in your life.
6. YES, COACH T-SHIRT
This is what you want to hear from every player, every time. Show up for practice 10 minutes early? Yes, Coach. Run 50 wind sprints? Yes, Coach. Drop and give me 100? Yes, Coach.
7. PERSONALIZED COACH’S WHISTLE
Here is a classy, simple, affordable, and personalized coach appreciation gift. The golden coach’s whistle can include custom laser engraving and arrives with a lanyard in a lovely gift-ready box.
8. COACH ORGANIZER BUCKET LINER
A great organizational accessory, a bucket sleeve is the perfect gift for a new coach. They can tote all the balls, pumps, tools, whistles, and more in a handy five-gallon bucket. Great for Little League and tennis coaches.
9. MEGAPHONE / BULLHORN
As if coach’s voice isn’t already loud enough… This bullhorn works equally well as a practical purchase or a joke gift.
Maybe coach can be heard up and down the field at all times, or maybe coach is the soft-spoken type that instantly commands silence and respect. In any case, all coaches need a bullhorn for some reason or another. This one is a great choice.
10. CUSTOM ENGRAVED MINI BAT
These personalized mini bats are a fun way to show appreciation to your baseball coach. Engrave them with the team logo, player names, or the details of a championship season.
3. OLD FASHIONED SPORTS BAR MIRROR
This gorgeous antique-style sports bar mirror is made in the USA with a genuine wood frame and real glass. Includes fun old-fashioned design in full color with the coach’s name splashed across the top. A beautiful heirloom gift for a coach.
12. COACH BEER MUGS
How about a set of pilsner or pint glasses? Etch the different glasses with each coach’s name or perhaps their favorite phrase.
13. SPORTS MOVIES
Who doesn’t love a great sports movie? The drama of sports on the silver screen is the next-best thing to watching your favorite teams play live on the field. Here are some fun and well-reviewed sports movies that feature great coaches and managers.
- Remember the Titans
- Friday Night Lights
- Cool Runnings
14. Thanks Coach Chalkboard Photo Frame
Celebrate a beloved coach with a sports team photo frame, personally signed by each member of the team.
This basketball coach photo frame looks like a court and measures 8×10, with space for a 4×6 photo. With a modern look and the ability to customize at a moment’s notice, this is a great gift for your sports coach.
15. CUSTOMIZED PHOTO/LOGO BASKETBALL
This personalized ball is the ultimate basketball coach appreciation gift. Custom printed with the photo or logo of your choice, this is the “game ball” of the year to celebrate a memorable championship season.
16. SPORTS BAR QUARTER BARREL SIGN
An authentic barrel top sign for the coach in your life. This premium gift idea is made to look just like the top “quarter” of an oak barrel, with real wood staves and a steel hoop surrounding the edges.
The sports bar design includes vintage-style lettering, a rustic stain finish, free personalization, and a hand-carved relief of a quarterback deep in the pocket. The perfect coach gift idea for a classy sports-themed home bar.
17. PERSONALIZED 10TH INNING SPORTS PUB SIGN
When the 10th inning rolls around, you know it’s time to grab a cold beer. For a baseball coach, extra innings are when you arrive home and can relax in your sports bar man cave.
This coach gift idea is made with furniture-grade wood in the USA and includes personalization, plus a hand-carved relief of a baseball mitt and ball.
18. PERSONALIZED SOCCER SPORTS PUB SIGN
Grab a cold pint – you’re among friends! For a soccer coach who loves to gather with friends to cheer on a favorite World Cup team, this personalized wood soccer pub sign is a creative and memorable soccer coach gift idea. Solid wood sign made in the USA, includes personalization and a hand-carved 3D soccer ball centerpiece relief.
19. Team Signature Coach Gift
For a fun alternative to the signature photo frame, give your coach this signature decor piece that simply says “Coach.” Attractive, modern, minimalist, and affordable. This is a great gift for your team’s coach.
20. RUSTIC COACH’S OFFICE BASKETBALL HOOP
Every good coach needs a basketball hoop in their office, whether it is to keep their hand-eye coordination in practice or and excuse for tossing scraps of paper in the recycle bin.
This rustic, natural-wood basketball hoop for the office is a great gift that can be used at home or at school. Adds a touch of class, charm, and playfulness to any coach’s office.
21. SHHHH! THE GAME IS ON SOCKS
Coaches can’t always be on the field, on the court, on their feet. Sometimes a good coach needs to just relax, put their feet up, pop open a cold one, and enjoy the game.
On the bottom of the feet these socks say, “If you can read this… SHHH!! The game is on”
Well, those were our 21 most-favorite coach gift ideas. If you still want to browse more ideas, especially some ones you can personalize, see here.
- 12 Amazingly Clean Movies You’ve Probably Never Seen Here are 12 amazing (and amazingly clean) movies you've probably never seen. Maybe you've never even heard of these. All the better, because you'r...
- 10 Heartwarming Sympathy Gift Ideas for a Grieving Friend When someone close to you loses a loved one, you want to do something to express your condolences and communicate that you are grieving alongside you...
- 100 Hilarious Quote Ideas for DIY Funny Birthday Cards You can spend five bucks on a pre-made card that is moderately funny, or you can make your own DIY funny birthday card that is actually hilarious. It...
- The Massive List of Family-Friendly Movies That Grownups Love Too This is your go-to list for great family-friendly movies that grownups love too. Nearly 500 clean family-friendly movies that are appropriate for...
- How to make Homeless Care Kits that ACTUALLY help So you want to bless the homeless or those less fortunate than you, but you don't want your efforts to be counterproductive. What should you put in h...
- 100+ Best “We Go Together Like…” Quotes We go together like... Copy and paste. Scarlett & Rhett. PB & J. If you're looking for the "perfect pair," we've gotcha covered...
- 20 Sympathy Gifts for Parents Who Have Lost a Child Today we are sharing with you 20 heartfelt sympathy gifts for parents who have lost a child. There is no greater pain in this world than losing a...
- 10 Social Worker Gifts to Honor Their Service & Devotion What gift can you give to a social worker that will really honor their service and devotion to their job and to others? Social workers are true se...
- 21 Thank You Gifts for Doctors to Show Your Appreciation You're on the hunt for the perfect thank you gift for your doctor. Your doctor is amazing and has always been there for you, keeping your health in c...
- Should I bring a gift to a funeral? Memorial Gift Etiquette Explained This one is kind of a downer, but it's a question that, sadly, gets asked quite a bit. Should I bring a gift to a funeral or memorial service? Wha...