A 21st birthday just calls out for the perfect gift.
They’ve been old enough to vote and play the lottery and enlist and be tried as an adult for three whole years now… but, you know, are you really an “Adult adult” until you’ve turned 21?
It’s getting serious now, but not so serious that they won’t get childish over a pile of presents.
Here are some of the best of the best gifts for your favorite 21 year old.
Best 21st Birthday Gifts
Please note that this post contains affiliate links. This means that if you purchase something you see on our site we may receive a commission at no cost to you. Read our full disclosure here.
1. Best 21st Birthday Gift for Her: Mountain Shelf
It’s a grownup gift, but not in that boring, middle-aged way (hey, we’re just telling you what they’re thinking).
This mountain shelf is perfect for displaying things like her succulents, small photographs, and other mementos from her travels. And the snowy top is plain adorable.
2. Best 21st Birthday Gift for Him: Messenger Bag
This vintage-looking messenger bag will be treasured by any young executive!
It’s soft and pliable, but sturdy enough to carry his laptop and all the gadgets that go with it. Positively timeless.
3. Best 21st Birthday Gift for Daughter: Chocolate of the Month Club
It’s a stereotype for a reason: because chocolate is delicious and women have excellent taste! (Speaking as one myself.)
Whether she has a long day at work or at school, coming home and putting her feet up and reaching for this yummy box will be the best part of her night.
And the best part?
She’ll get a new box of chocolates delivered every month.
4. Best 21st Birthday Gift for Son: Tool Set
Let’s face it: it would be nice if he would quit borrowing and losing your tools, right?
Get him his own tool set. This one comes with everything he’ll need for those pesky home-improvement jobs, or to fulfill his DIY hobbies.
Bonus: you can borrow his tools for a change.
5. Best 21st Birthday Gift for Sister: Personalized Mason Jar
This charming personalized mason jar hits all the right notes for big sister or little sister (or sister-in-law, or step-sister, or sister-from-another-mister, you get the idea).
Put her given name, or be clever and use her childhood nickname. She’ll never want to use a boring drinking glass again!
6. Best 21st Birthday Gift for Brother: Personalized Pint Glasses
Brothers are honestly hard to shop for. Anyone who has one knows this.
Now that he can (legally, ahem) drink a beer, you just can’t go wrong with this personalized pint glass!
Have his name etched, along with a logo (maybe Best Brother?). He’s going to be impressed when he opens this one.
7. Best 21st Birthday Gift for Girlfriend: Personalized Couples Mugs
Check out these adorable mugs!
They’re cute and sweet, without putting too much pressure on the relationship! Sunday morning coffee will never be the same.
8. Best 21st Birthday Gift for Boyfriend: Monogram Wallet
A wallet sticks with a man until… well, until it disintegrates, honestly. This one will last, since it’s made cowhide leather with gorgeous stitching.
And it will be even more special once you personalize it with his name and a special message from you.
9. Best 21st Birthday Gift for Best Friend: Custom Comic
Your best friend is going to get so many gifts for his/her 21st birthday.
But they’ll forget all about the socks, gift cards, packs of beer, and the like when they open up this personalized comic from you.
12 More Creative 21st Birthday Gift Ideas
Those first 9 birthday ideas were the best for specific types of people. These next 11 gifts are just simply the best.
10. Choose-Your-Own Experience Gift Package
Experiences are even better than gift-wrapped presents, especially when you take the time to discover what the recipient really loves.
Maybe it’s a trip to the beach, maybe it’s a pottery class, maybe it’s a road trip with you, their BFF.
Tinggly Experience Gifts sends your 21 year old a gift package that they can redeem for any adventure, anywhere in the world. You pay for the experience (surfing, snorkeling, museum tour in Rome, etc), and all they need to do is figure out how to get there.
(You can spring for airline tickets, or let them choose a more local road-trippable option.)
11. 21st Birthday Bottle Opener
They will treasure this well-made, good-looking plaque and bottle opener for years to come!
Personalize it however you like: whether charming or sweet, snarky or funny, witty or just the facts, ma’am. It’s going to look perfect in their den, backyard, or kitchen!
12. Sweet Kicks with Matching Tote
The rainbow of colors match every outfit, and the tote will be put to good use in no time, whether grocery shopping, browsing the farmer’s market, or on a weekend get-away.
We think we’re in love. Your freshly minted 21 year old birthday girl will be, too.
13. Save the Environment by Planting Trees Gift
Some people are simply impossible to shop for. Either they have everything they need, or their desires are a real mystery. In those cases, you simply can’t go wrong with a planting trees gift. Save the environment AND impress them, all in one thoughtful gift!
14. Beer Tasting Course (now that they’re 21….)
After all, they’ve been waiting 21 years for this moment! Start their taste buds off on the right road with this virtual beer tasting course.
Naturally, no one wants to drink alone, so we suggest purchasing some beer and joining in the course so you can enjoy it together.
15. Personalized Tumbler
No one is more on the go than modern-day Americans, unless it’s a modern-day American who just turned 21!
This personalized tumbler assures no one else takes off with it, whether they’re at yoga, work, school, or on a hike. The mug’s insulated double-walled design ensures their drink stays hot or cold for hours.
It comes custom laser etched and in a variety of colors and sizes.
16. Sand-Free Microfiber Beach Towel for Beach Lovers
Have you ever gone to the beach and after getting soaked, realize you forgot your towel? So has your beach loving friend.
Never fear: these microfiber sand-free towels are the perfect gift. Keep a couple in your trunk for spontaneous ocean days!
More like this: 21 Beach Gifts for Beach Lovers
17. Exotic Wanderlust-Themed Fernweh Candles
There’s something about candles: they’re soothing, scented, aromatheraputic (might have just made up that word), warm, cozy, and just fill the house with a sense of comfort and security.
Inspired by exotic locations around the world, these wander-lust themed candles are just the ticket for any homebody who dreams of travel.
18. Burrito Blanket
If you’ve never wished you could wrap yourself in a warm flour tortilla, we don’t believe you.
Not only is this Burrito Blanket the perfect 21st birthday gift, it’s hilarious, clever, warm and snuggly. Everything a gift should be!
19. Pirate Ship Model Kit
If your favorite 21 year old is a model lover, they are going to go bananas over this pirate ship! Jack Sparrow or Long John Silver himself would be proud of this boat.
20. Pickle of the Month Club
No one can eat a jar of jelly each month, and flowers, well they just die on you (and you can’t even eat them).
If you’re looking for a gift that keeps on giving all year ’round, look no further than this pickle of the month subscription! It’s the gift they never even knew they always wanted.
21. Kayak (+ a way to transport it)
For outdoorsy types and the most adventurous of 21 year olds, consider this amazing kayak. They’ll be delighted with such a wonderful present and will be sure to send you lots of selfies of themselves with this well-made, stunning boat.
Don’t forget transportation! You might want to throw in a truck or SUV as a little add-on gift. Or, if you’re like, totally too cheap for that, this kayak vehicle rack.
- 12 Amazingly Clean Movies You’ve Probably Never Seen Here are 12 amazing (and amazingly clean) movies you've probably never seen. Maybe you've never even heard of these. All the better, because you'r...
- 10 Heartwarming Sympathy Gift Ideas for a Grieving Friend When someone close to you loses a loved one, you want to do something to express your condolences and communicate that you are grieving alongside you...
- The Massive List of Family-Friendly Movies That Grownups Love Too This is your go-to list for great family-friendly movies that grownups love too. Nearly 500 clean family-friendly movies that are appropriate for...
- 100 Hilarious Quote Ideas for DIY Funny Birthday Cards You can spend five bucks on a pre-made card that is moderately funny, or you can make your own DIY funny birthday card that is actually hilarious. It...
- How to make Homeless Care Kits that ACTUALLY help So you want to bless the homeless or those less fortunate than you, but you don't want your efforts to be counterproductive. What should you put in h...
- 21 Unique Sympathy Gifts to Show Love and Support Let's talk about unique sympathy gifts. You've just learned that someone you care about has suffered the loss of a loved one, and you want to find a...
- 100+ Best “We Go Together Like…” Quotes We go together like... Copy and paste. Scarlett & Rhett. PB & J. If you're looking for the "perfect pair," we've gotcha covered...
- 20 Sympathy Gifts for Parents Who Have Lost a Child Today we are sharing with you 20 heartfelt sympathy gifts for parents who have lost a child. There is no greater pain in this world than losing a...
- Lego Architecture: The Complete List of Every Single Set Ever Made Lego Architecture sets are incredible gift ideas for just about anyone. Young kids with moderate building skills all the way up to adult professional...
- 52 Unique Christmas Gift Ideas for the Home Here are 52 of the most interesting and unique Christmas gift ideas we've found for the home, including home decor, kitchen, man cave, and home bar g...