Last Updated on November 19, 2021
Everyone loves to receive a gift that someone has made for them. When you take the time to make someone a high-quality handcrafted gift, it’s a way to show them how much you care.
Sometimes coming up with ideas for a DIY gift can be hard. It’s easy to get stuck in a rut of making the same things again and again. So we’ve compiled a list of fun and unique ideas to help you to celebrate the next birthday party you are invited to.
Enjoy deciding which DIY to try out next!
Top 15 DIY Birthday Gifts
Our website is supported by our users. We sometimes earn a commission when you click through the affiliate links on our website. Learn more here.
1. Balloon Surprise!
People love balloons and the celebration that goes along with them. Here’s a fun idea to make balloons even more exciting – add a dollar bill to a balloon and then fill them up with helium.
Present your friend with a balloon bouquet and watch the fun as they pop the balloons and claim their treasure.
2. Cookies, Cake, and Pie – Oh My!
Who doesn’t love freshly baked goodies? No one, that’s who! Make their favorite treats – and present those treats to them on a personalized pie pan or serving plate that you made!
They are sure to appreciate your thoughtfulness, and might even share with you over a cup of coffee.
3. Scrapbook Coasters
Scrapbook coasters are a fun DIY project. They aren’t expensive to make and take little time and effort as well. You can use pictures or patterned paper to make your unique coasters.
These are useful gifts that will be appreciated by whoever you have made them for. Make them matching or make every one of them different. They can be set around on tabletops for use and display.
Related: 8 Great Coaster Gift Ideas
4. Flowers in a DIY Woven Flower Vase
Have you ever thought about weaving a basket? This is the perfect opportunity for you to take up weaving; here’s how. Each basket you make will be unique unto itself.
Fill it will some beautiful silk flowers (or real ones!) and give them as a gift to your closest friends and family. They will proudly display this beautiful gift in their home.
5. Deer DIY Moss Kit
Enjoy yourself making this charming wall art. Bring some beauty into your home by adding these real plants to any room. They require no watering or sunshine.
The DIY moss kit can also be set on a shelf or countertop. It’s a gift that will be appreciated for a long time.
6. Pillow Bed for Kids
A pillow bed is a portable bed made of pillows that are connected in a row. An easy bed for your kids to take for a sleep over at Grandma’s house.
A great way to make a comfy space for kids to snuggle on while watching TV, reading a book, or playing video games. Inexpensive and easy to make!
7. Flower Needle Point Kit
With so many patterns to choose from, you are sure to find the perfect project for your next DIY undertaking.
Embroidery is a relaxing way to spend some downtime – and it makes a beautiful gift for a special friend or family member. Colorful flowers will add a nice touch to any room.
8. Friendship Bracelets
An enjoyable craft for teens and tweens. Friendship bracelets are back and trendy again. Your daughter will enjoy having her friends over and making these bracelets for each other.
No friends will go without a bracelet; this kit has enough supplies to make 12 bracelets. Plenty for the whole crew to have fun.
Read Next: 30 Steller 17th Birthday Gift Ideas
9. Coupon Book
Simply download and print this cute coupon book for your loved one. Your spouse is sure to have a good time with these “freebies.” Let them cash in a coupon whenever they want.
You can add your own special notes or “add-ons” to make these coupons extra fun for both of you.
10. Hot Cocoa Kit
Everyone loves a nice cup of hot cocoa. Fill up a cup, jar, or any cute container with your own special cocoa recipe. This makes a fantastic Christmas gift.
Perfect for the office Christmas gift exchange.
11. Make them a Notebook
A handmade notebook is a great last minute gift idea. A cute, inexpensive, and easy way to be creative.
It’s up to you how big or small you want to make your notebook. If you want a purse sized notebook, use blank notecards. We all need to make some notes when we least expect it. This is a thoughtful gift for anyone to receive.
Related: Last Minute Birthday Gifts
12. Homemade Honey Soap
Honey is a natural ingredient that has so many benefits! It’s antibacterial, good for acne, clarifying and moisturizing too. Made with goat’s milk and honey, these sweet smelling soaps have a two year shelf life.
There are so many ways to “personalize” your homemade soap. Add your favorite essential oils, natural colors, or liquid oils (coconut oil, almond oil, or olive oil.)
Homemade soap is an easy DIY gift.
13. Bird Feeder Kit
A thoughtful gift for any bird lover. Making birdfeeders is entertaining and helps to take care of birds, squirrels and other small critters. A craft that you can enjoy making with your kids.
Hang these little feeders in your trees and enjoy watching nature coming to visit your yard.
Related: Best Bird Lover Gifts
14. Homemade Earrings
Enjoy making jewelry with this earring making kit. Any of your girl friends would enjoy receiving a pair of earrings that you’ve made.
Add sparkling glass beads, gemstones, or even leather. Make stunning earrings for any occasion or outfit. Jewelry is a fantastic and creative hobby to be involved in. Let your imagination run wild and create the next trend.
15. Gift in a Jar
Pick out a decorative jar and fill it with the ingredients to make a favorite meal or dessert. Make sure to include the recipe with the jar of makings.
Some ideas to include would be: Cookie Mix, Brownie Mix, or even a Meal. Decorate the jar and lid to make it extra special.
Recipe jars are nice to make and even better to receive.
DIY gifts are enjoyable and thoughtful to make. Try some new ideas from our list and see how creative you can be. Some gifts are easier to make than others, but all of them are well worth the effort.
Read Next: 100+ Best Birthday Wishes
- 44 Best Gift Exchange Games & Clever Ideas for the Holidays How can I make my gift exchange more fun? Are you tired of just drawing names for the yearly holiday gift exchange? You want to breathe some new, crea...
- 12 Amazingly Clean Movies You’ve Probably Never Seen Here are 12 amazing (and amazingly clean) movies you've probably never seen. Maybe you've never even heard of these. All the better, because you're in...
- 3rd Anniversary Gifts: Best 3-Year Ideas (Traditional & Modern) Whew! You made it through the first two years of wedded bliss. "They" say the first two years are the hardest. Let's hope so. Marriage is a beautiful...
- 100 Hilarious Quote Ideas for DIY Funny Birthday Cards You can spend five bucks on a pre-made card that is moderately funny, or you can make your own DIY funny birthday card that is actually hilarious. It'...
- 101 Best Old Age Jokes for Birthday Cards Getting old is no joke. **Pregnant pause.......** Of course it is! Getting old is hilarious. With each passing year, it's best to share a laugh about...
- 13 Best Gifts for a 13 Year Old Girl Perfect for the tween going into the teen years, these sweet ideas are sure to please! We don't know about you, but 13 year old girls are as eclectic...
- The Massive List of Family-Friendly Movies That Grownups Love Too Are you tired of entertainment that is either smutty and TV-MA, or slapstick cartoons? Aren't there clean, family-friendly movies that aren't geared o...
- How to make Homeless Care Kits that ACTUALLY help So you want to bless the homeless or those less fortunate than you, but you don't want your efforts to be counterproductive. What should you put in ho...
- 100+ Best “We Go Together Like…” Quotes We go together like... Copy and paste. Scarlett & Rhett. PB & J. If you're looking for the "perfect pair," we've gotcha covered. Here are over...
- 200 Simple Birthday Wishes for Everyone, at Every Age When it comes to wishing someone a happy birthday, you want to show your gratitude and love with the right words to say. Often, short and sweet...