Last Updated on July 31, 2020
Each year when Christmas season rolls around, we’ve found our list of families and individuals to whom we want to give Christmas gifts growing by several notches. This is a happy thing, because our extended family is growing as new spouses, significant others, and children are added, and new friends are being made. We love it!
But this expanded Christmas gift list does make affordable gift shopping a daunting task. One easy way to handle the task is to do “bulk gifts” – interesting and fun DIY gift packages we can create at home from a handful of relatively low-cost purchased items plus a few items we normally have around the house.
Picture this: instead of plunking down $25 or $50 for a generic gift card to an ice cream shoppe, how about a cute gift box with everything a family needs for spectacular ice cream sundaes, with a little note that says “just add ice cream”?
You can make five or more of these DIY ice cream sundae gift boxes for that same $25-50! Or what say you to the warm, cozy feeling of a hot cup of Christmasy Irish cream hot chocolate? For the cost of a few mason jars, a tub of cocoa mix, and a few mini bottles of Bailey’s Irish Cream, you can have an easy and affordable DIY Christmas gift for your entire extended family. (See below!!)
Making Christmas gifts for others is fun, allows you the opportunity to throw in a personal touch or unique twist, and helps you keep finances in order. This is why we’ve created this DIY gift guide for simple, nifty Christmas gifts.
DIY Paper Plate Clock
This is a good one to involve the kids in making their own gifts. Check out this simple tutorial for a fun Paper Plate Clock, great as a Christmas gift for a teacher.
Easy Paper Clip Earrings
These paper clip earrings are adorably cute, and you can most likely make them using materials you already have on hand. All you need is embroidery floss, earring clips, paper clips, and glue. Check it out.
Adorable, simple, and useful during those cold winter months. Make a couple of DIY handwarmers to stuff in every stocking on your Christmas gift list.
DIY Teacup Candles
Turn old candles and thrift store teacups into a cute and simple DIY Christmas gift. This is an easy one to do in bulk for all the ladies on your list! Tutorial here.
Holiday Welcome Mat
This fun holiday welcome mat tutorial uses a standard doormat, tape, and paint. Make any shape you like – snowflakes, reindeer antlers, “Ho Ho Ho” or anything else you can think of. An easy one to personalize for each recipient.
Reindeer Cocoa Cones
The whole family will enjoy a cup of hot chocolate when you give them these easy DIY Reindeer Cocoa Cones. All you need is cocoa mix with marshmallows in plastic piping bags, adorned with regular craft staples such as brown pipe cleaners, googly eyes, and red pom poms.
Dollhouse Coloring Book
This is a nifty idea we spotted on Rock & Pebble. A journal-style book shaped so that when opened, it makes the outline of a house. Complete with cutouts for windows and doors, this dollhouse coloring book will provide hours of fun for kids who love to color!
Make it yourself using journals from your local arts & crafts store and an exacto-knife.
Cute iPad Case
Check out this fun tutorial for an iPad case. Works especially well when given with an actual iPad.
DIY Candy Sleighs
Use Kit Kats, candy canes, and select bonus candies to create these fun and festive candy sleighs. Perfect for giving to kids! Inspiration here.
DIY Gift Wrap for Kids
This is a great idea for those family get-togethers where kids have to wait to open presents. Give them a pre-present activity! All you need is white paper, some crayons, and a bit of not-too-sticky tape. (Source)
Vintage Tablet Holder
A simple how-to from Mamie Janes which involves a thrift store cutting board, Scrabble tile holder, a child’s triangle wooden block, wood glue, and white paint sanded down for a vintage distressed effect.
Bailey’s Hot Chocolate Mix
Brilliant, cozy, and simple. The perfect DIY Christmas-Chocolate gift: Fill a mason jar with cocoa mix and marshmallows, then tie on a mini bottle of Bailey’s Irish Cream. Works well as a couples gift.
DIY Reindeer 6 Pack
Turn a 6-pack into a festive version of Santa’s reindeer, using a favorite craft brew or a family-friendly pack of delicious root beer. All it takes are some brown pipe cleaners wrapped around the caps and some googly eyes and red fuzzies glued onto the bottle and viola! Santa’s six pack.
Funfetti Cookie Mix in a Jar
This great idea from The Frugal Girls creates a fun spin on the “cookie mix in a jar” theme by using Funfetti cake mix as the base for the cookies. As a bonus, it’s ridiculously easy – all you need is a box of Funfetti mix, a package of M&Ms, a mason jar, and whatever decorative accents you want to add to beautify the gift. If Funfetti isn’t your (or the recipient’s) thing, here are 25 more mix in a jar DIY gift ideas.
In Case of Emergency Cash
A fun way to avoid giving a card full of money. In case of emergency… well, you know what to do. (Source)
In Case of Emergency Chocolate
We all know there are different kinds of emergencies… this one is for the Chocolate variety. Handy tutorial for this fun gift idea here.
We Whisk You A Merry KISSmas
Fill up a whisk with chocolate kisses, wrap it up, and add a card with this super duper pun. Get the tutorial and printable card here.
A Year of Dates
A truly thoughtful and creative gift idea, perfect for giving to your spouse as a token of your love and commitment, or as a gift to family members along with whatever else they might need to make these dates a reality (an offer of babysitting, loaning a car, etc). You can see some ideas for this “Year of Dates” here.
Sewing Kit in a Jar
Create a pincushion using a mini mason jar, and fill it with all manner of sewing accessories for a cute and useful DIY Christmas gift for someone who is crafty or just likes to sew. Tutorial here.
Dollar Oragami: Shirt & Tie
When you’re running really late, this is how you fold a dollar bill into an oragami shirt and tie. You will need this skill at some point in your life, so: You’re welcome.
DIY Fabric Scrap Keychain
This is a good one for stocking stuffers, or as a bonus present attached to the outside of a bigger wrapped gift. These DIY keychains are made from tiny bits of fabric scrap, a regular ol’ keychain, iron-on interfacing, and a few other odds and ends you’ll probably already have to use as embellishments. Tutorial here.
What are some other ideas we’re missing? Leave a comment directing readers to your favorite DIY gift, and if we love it we’ll add it to the DIY gift guide!!
- 10 Heartwarming Sympathy Gift Ideas for a Grieving Friend When someone close to you loses a loved one, you want to do something to express your condolences and communicate that you are grieving alongside you...
- 12 Amazingly Clean Movies You’ve Probably Never Seen Here are 12 amazing (and amazingly clean) movies you've probably never seen. Maybe you've never even heard of these. All the better, because you'r...
- 100 Hilarious Quote Ideas for DIY Funny Birthday Cards You can spend five bucks on a pre-made card that is moderately funny, or you can make your own DIY funny birthday card that is actually hilarious. It...
- How to make Homeless Care Kits that ACTUALLY help So you want to bless the homeless or those less fortunate than you, but you don't want your efforts to be counterproductive. What should you put in h...
- 100+ Best “We Go Together Like…” Quotes We go together like... Copy and paste. Scarlett & Rhett. PB & J. If you're looking for the "perfect pair," we've gotcha covered...
- 20 Sympathy Gifts for Parents Who Have Lost a Child Today we are sharing with you 20 heartfelt sympathy gifts for parents who have lost a child. There is no greater pain in this world than losing a...
- The Massive List of Family-Friendly Movies That Grownups Love Too This is your go-to list for great family-friendly movies that grownups love too. Nearly 500 clean family-friendly movies that are appropriate for...
- 21 Gifts for Lawyers, Attorneys, and Law Students Since you're looking for counsel regarding gifts for lawyers, attorneys, or law students, you probably know at least one of these persons. And you...
- 21 Thank You Gifts for Doctors to Show Your Appreciation You're on the hunt for the perfect thank you gift for your doctor. Your doctor is amazing and has always been there for you, keeping your health in c...
- 21 Unique Sympathy Gifts to Show Love and Support Let's talk about unique sympathy gifts. You've just learned that someone you care about has suffered the loss of a loved one, and you want to find a...