Last Updated on May 18, 2022
Turning 18 is big, y’all! We don’t know who needs to know this, but it’s HUGE!
From here on out, it’s all voting privileges, lottery playing, and enlisting in the military… well, I guess there’s more to it than that, but you get the drift.
What to Write in an 18th Birthday Card
We’ve all been there… you finally picked out the perfect card, but what do you say for an 18th birthday? Not just, ‘Love, Aunt Pam.’ Boring.
But no 18 year old wants to read an entire handwritten novel either. So between those two extremes, here are some tips on what to write in an 18th birthday card:
1. Choose each word. When you take the time to ensure that every word packs a punch, you’ll avoid going too long but also have enough to say to convey your meaning.
2. Say it out loud first. It’s easy to get tripped up trying to write the Next Great American Birthday Card. Instead, pretend like you’re talking to the person face to face. Say what you would say – then write it down!
3. Affirm their best attributes. People love to be noticed, and we tend to do that which gets attention. So point out some of the best things about them (hardworking? Funny? Caring and sweet, clever and sophisticated, adventurous and friendly?) and encourage them to keep growing and expressing themselves in those areas.
4. Give advice. It’s something of a tradition for elders to bestow hard-won lessons on the younger generation as they pass the threshold of year 18 into adulthood. What’s the most important thing you’ve learned that you wish you knew when you were a teen? Tell them! You’re probably not going to alter the entire course of their life, but… well, you never know!
5. Celebrate! Most importantly, express your joy and excitement that this kid is entering the next stage of life. It’s a good thing! A birthday is a time for parties, gifts, and celebration, so let them know that you care enough to be happy on their behalf and that you truly wish them the very best.
Here are some ideas to get you started!
Best Happy 18th Birthday Wishes
Happy 18th to my favorite ADULT!
Happy birthday, and here’s to moving on from kid-dom to the grown-up world!
It’s been a privilege to watch you grow into the young (man/woman) you’ve become. You’re going to do great things!
The first 18 years have been a blast – here’s to the next adventure!
Great job staying alive this long!
We love you, our soon-to-be fellow adult!
Happy birthday, and don’t commit any crimes (because you can be tried as an adult now, you know).
Your childhood years are behind you – enjoy being an adult!
How fun to watch you grow. Here’s to many more years!
Happy birthday, and no, we didn’t get you a gift. This card is cool though.
Happy 18th to the kiddo who was so accident-prone we weren’t sure you’d make it this long!
18 years?!?! How did that even happen?
What a ride!
Congratulations: You’re halfway to being 36. Now that’s something to celebrate!
Happy birthday! Oh, and I only give gifts to children, so… enjoy this lovely card. Adults gotta work for money, ya know.
18th Birthday Wishes for Daughter
I can’t believe my baby girl is a grown up now!
Happy 18th to my sun and moon, stars and light!
You’ve made me so proud all of these 18 years! Except for Year 14. You were kind annoying at that age.
Happy 18th and here’s to your long-planned move out of the house! (Can I come with you?)
I still remember when you fit into the palm of my hand. Happy birthday to my forever baby!
Happy 18th birthday, baby girl, and here’s to a hundred more!
Happy anniversary of the year you face-planted in the birthday cake.
They said being a parent is the toughest job out there… thanks for making them wrong!
Happy birthday, little goose!
18!! Remember when you said you’d never leave me… well?
Happy 18th to my favorite kid. (Don’t tell your siblings.)
Dad said we should get you a car. I said a nice card. Guess who won?
Happy birthday, and just know, you’ll always be our sweetheart baby no matter how old you get!
That’s it! Stop growing up or you’re grounded!
Happy birthday to the best girl on the planet.
18th Birthday Wishes for Son
Happy birthday, son! For your gift, your sister has to take out the trash today.
Happy 18th, you all-grown-up adult, you!
Look at you, adulting and all that!! I knew you had it in you. Happy birthday!
So far, you’re making this life look awfully fun! Keep it up as you enter the world of being grown up, taking responsibility, paying bills, filing taxes… if you can keep your joyous, fun-loving heart, you’ll be doing the world a great favor. Here’s to you!
Thanks for being my hero, and the main man in my life. Happy birthday.
Happy 18th to the one kid who I never thought would make it this far alive and intact…!
You may have ridden off into the sunset of your childhood, but you’re riding right into the sunrise of your adult life and your greatest adventure yet. Happy birthday, cowboy!
You had my heart 18 years ago, and you still do now.
Congrats on growing up! You can stop it now, you’re making me feel old!
Sure, you’re taller than I am, but you’ll always be my little guy.
Watching you grow up has been the best! Except for Year 12. That year stunk. Thanks for learning to use deodorant.
You’ve worked so hard to get this far. Sit back and relax today as we celebrate your birthday – you’ve earned it!
Happy birthday, and thanks for growing out of your wiping-boogers-on-the-walls phase. I appreciate that.
Happy 18th birthday! Now that you’re a responsible adult, I wanted to get you that dog you always wanted. Dad said no (so take it up with him).
Remember when you said you’d never leave me? I’m holding you to it!
18th Birthday Wishes for Niece
Happy birthday, my favorite niece! From your favorite aunt/uncle.
The best thing about you has been watching you grow! (And getting to sugar you up before sending you home. Ahh, good times.)
You’ve been such a bright spot in my life for 18 years! Happy birthday!
Happy 18th birthday to my favorite family member yet (besides the dog)!
Happy birthday! I was going to buy you a car, but your folks said no.
Happy 18th, niecey-poo! You may be an adult now, but you’ll never grow out of all the silly nicknames I’ve created for you over the years.
You’re still my favorite person to hang with! Happy birthday!
Happy 18th, and let’s shop soon! After all, now that you’re all grown up, you can pick out your own present.
Happy birthday to the daughter I never had.
Happy 18th, little munchkin!
You’ll always be the bread to my butter – happy birthday!
Redeem this card for a day out with your favorite aunt/uncle!
Happy birthday to the niece who is like a daughter to me!
Happy birthday to the kiddo who is still giving my sister heck (thanks for that! Did I tell you how annoying she was as a kid? Payback is so sweet!!)
I wish you the happiest 18th birthday! When you’re ready to get a tattoo and play the lottery, I’m your ticket!
18th Birthday Wishes for Nephew
Happy birthday to my favorite nephew! Love, your favorite aunt/uncle.
Happy birthday! Did you still want a pony, or did you outgrow that phase? I hope you’re reading all these cards out loud, because I’m going to ask about ALL the most embarrassing things from your childhood! For instance, do you still…….. ?
Happy birthday, old man!
Happy 18th birthday, ya old fart! From, an even older fart.
You’re 18! Time to start perfecting those dad jokes.
Eighteen! This is the year you get your Man Card!
I’d love to take you out for a tattoo… don’t tell your folks. Just kidding! (Or am I?)
Happy birthday to the nephew I couldn’t love more even if he were my own.
You’ve been the main man in my life for 18 years! I’m so proud of the person you’ve become. Here’s to you!
So proud of you for everything you’ve done, and everything I know you’re going to do. You have an amazing life ahead of you, so let’s celebrate – happy birthday!
I’m so glad I got to be a part of your first 18 years of life! I’m still here to spoil you, you know.
The best part of having a nephew? You!
It’s been 18 years and you’re still making me laugh (and cry a little)! Happy birthday, nephew!
Happy birthday to the guy who is still giving my brother heck! (And deservedly so. He was a turd growing up.)
I’ve loved being in your life for 18 years! Promise to keep me around for another 18?
18th Birthday Wishes for Friend
18?!?! When did we get so old? Let’s go have some fun before the bills start coming in!
Time to be a respectable and sophisticated adult now. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Welp, your childhood is over. Hope it didn’t stink.
18 years of having the best friend ever… ME!
Happy birthday to my best friend for life.
Happy 18th birthday to the friend of all friends. Your friendship has meant the world to me.
I know! Let’s grow up! You first.
Don’t grow up. It’s a trap.
Happy birthday to my person.
Happy day! You’re 18!
We’ve dreamed of this day for years! Congratulations and happy birthday!
I couldn’t imagine life without you. Thanks for being in it!
I was going to buy you an expensive gift, but I was told grown adults like mooshy cards. So, yeah, I love you. Or whatever.
Happy 18th, you old man/lady!
My life would be empty without you in it!
Related: Birthday Wishes for BFFs
Funny 18th Birthday Wishes
Hurry, let’s rob a bank, quick, before you can be tried as an adult!
Get in, loser. We’re going to the old folk’s home.
Childhood pretty much sucked. Let’s hope adulthood is better.
Cheers to 18! Wait. That happens at 21. Dagnabit.* Here’s your apple juice. Cheers!
*Yeah, right, like any teen is going to say ‘dagnabit’ to their cohorts. Use your imagination.
Does this mean we have to do old people things now? Like, brush our teeth twice daily? Floss? Set alarm clocks? Ugh. So far, this is terrible.
Happy birthday to you! You live in a zoo! You look like an old geezer, and you smell like one too!
Remember all those dumb things you said and did throughout your childhood? Yeah. So do I. Muahahaha.
I like you more than lemonade (but a little less than tacos). Just keepin’ it real.
Pfft. Grow up if you want to. Me, I’m staying a kid forever. (Slurps juice box, stays in pjs all day.)
Better keep me around. I know all your secrets, old man. Happy birthday!
More 18th Birthday Card Messages
Happy 18th birthday to the best former-kid in town! You’re finally an adult – congrats!
Eighteen years down, and a lifetime to go! I wish you all the best on your 18th birthday.
We wish nothing but the greatest joy for you on the incredible journey that is ahead. May your wonderful soul be enriched with everlasting youth and wisdom as you grow, mature, live, and thrive. Happy 18th birthday!
Eighteen years ago, when you were born, the world became a better place. To the most wonderful young person I know: Welcome to adulthood!
I can’t believe it has already been eighteen years since the day you came into this world and brought a whole lot of happiness with you. Happy birthday!
This journey of life has just started for you. Enjoy every moment and be happy – starting with a very happy 18th birthday celebration!
May the journey ahead be as wonderful as you are. Happy 18th birthday!
Eighteen years ago, you were brought into this world as a ray of sunshine. Today, on your special day, that light shines all the more brightly because of the wonderful person you’ve grown up to be.
May your 18th birthday be the beginning of a beautiful new journey as you take on new responsibilities and explore new privileges. Happy birthday!
Celebrate this special day with your loved ones and create unforgettable moments together, because this is the first day of your adult life. Happy 18th birthday!
I am wishing you the best 18th birthday ever! You’re officially an adult now, and the world is your oyster. Enjoy it!
Eighteen years ago, you were born, and the world became a more beautiful place. Happy birthday to the most beautiful person I know.
Eighteen years ago, you started on a journey. Today, you take the next step. I’m proud of you and the young man/woman you’ve become. Three cheers for you!
I cannot believe you are an adult now! No, I’m serious – I don’t actually believe it. They must have gotten your birth certificate wrong. Haha jk. Have a fabulous 18th birthday, and stay forever young!
You’re finally 18, and therefore you must be thinking that the world is yours to explore. Well… it is! So go out there and seize it all. Enjoy your birthday to the max, because you’re only 18 once!
You’ve entered the next stage on this marvelous journey of life. While it can sometimes get harder, there are many blessings and joys that come along with the responsibilities and obligations of adulthood. My advice? Enjoy every moment and find happiness in loving and serving others. Happy birthday!
Happy 18th birthday, my dear friend! May happiness and success always follow you wherever you go!
The most beautiful time of your life has just begun, and I wish you a pleasant, prosperous, and perfectly picturesque 18th birthday!
May all your wishes come true. Have a great birthday!
As you embark on this new adventure of adulthood, you can be sure I will always be beside you. Happiest birthday, friend!
I can’t hold in my happiness that you have turned 18 today. Having a friend like you to share my adulthood experience is the best – let’s celebrate!
My childhood memories wouldn’t have been complete without your beautiful face. Happy 18th birthday to my bff and eternal accomplice!
I wish you nothing but tremendous pleasure in the incredible journey ahead of you. So I wish you not only a happy 18th birthday, but a truly happy life!
Welcome to a new era in your life, full of fresh responsibilities, joining the workforce, going to college, and paying bills. Good luck – you’re going to need it!
10 Best 18th Birthday Cards
Our website is supported by our users. We sometimes earn a commission when you click through the affiliate links on our website. Learn more here.
18th Birthday Pop Up Box Card
Childhood Has Expired
Cottage Wreath – Printable Birthday Card
18th Birthday Paper Cut Card
Adulting 1/5 Stars
Happy Birthday to my Bestie
Minimalistic Gold & Blue 18th Birthday Card
Happy Birthday to You
Personalized Rose Gold 18th Birthday Card
Custom Illustration Birthday Card
18th Birthday Captions
Read Next: 200 Happy Birthday Wishes for Every Age
- 12 Amazingly Clean Movies You’ve Probably Never Seen Here are 12 amazing (and amazingly clean) movies you've probably never seen. Maybe you've never even heard of these. All the better, because you're...
- 21 Best Housewarming Gifts (That They Will Actually Use) How about let's give housewarming gifts that the new homeowners will actually use. After all, visiting a friend or family member who just purchased...
- 50 Perfect Retirement Gifts That Retirees Actually Love What's a better excuse for a party than a retirement? We can't think of anything! And what are some great retirement gifts for the well-deserved gu...
- How to make Homeless Care Kits that ACTUALLY help So you want to bless the homeless or those less fortunate than you, but you don't want your efforts to be counterproductive. What should you put in ho...
- 100 Hilarious Quote Ideas for DIY Funny Birthday Cards You can spend five bucks on a pre-made card that is moderately funny, or you can make your own DIY funny birthday card that is actually hilarious. It'...
- 101 Best Old Age Jokes for Birthday Cards Getting old is no joke. **Pregnant pause.......** Of course it is! Getting old is hilarious. With each passing year, it's best to share a lau...
- 100+ Best “We Go Together Like…” Quotes We go together like... Copy and paste. Scarlett & Rhett. PB & J. If you're looking for the "perfect pair," we've gotcha covered. H...
- 10 Heartwarming Sympathy Gift Ideas for a Grieving Friend When someone close to you loses a loved one, you want to do something to express your condolences and communicate that you are grieving alongside your...
- The Massive List of Family-Friendly Movies That Grownups Love Too This is your go-to list for great family-friendly movies that grownups love too. Nearly 500 clean family-friendly movies that are appropriate for a...
- 3rd Anniversary Gifts: Best 3-Year Ideas (Traditional & Modern) Whew! You made it through the first two years of wedded bliss. "They" say the first two years are the hardest. Let's hope so. Marriage is a beautif...