Last Updated on November 26, 2019
There is an easy-peasy way to make a DIY essential oil reed diffuser for less than four bucks. Here is how to do it.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. But you’ll probably just get all this stuff at the dollar store. 😉
WHAT IS A REED DIFFUSER?
A reed diffuser, or stick diffuser, for essential oils is one of many ways to get the aroma and mood-lifting effects of essential oil spread through the air. It is completely natural and does not require any batteries or electricity.
In essence, a reed diffuser is a container that holds essential oils with several small wooden reeds sticking out of it. An essential oil mixture soaks into the reeds, travels up them, and then gets released into the air through evaporation.
The $4 Essential Oil Reed Diffuser
You need just a few things in order to make your reed diffuser. Most of these can be purchased at any dollar, discount, craft, or department store.
- Glass bottle. Preferably one with a narrow opening. The narrower the opening, the less loss to evaporation. Check your local dollar store – Cost: $1.
- Bamboo skewer sticks. A pack of thin bamboo skewer sticks works great for diffusing essential oil. Dollar store can be hit or miss. We found ours at WalMart – Cost: $0.94
- Distilled water. You will need a substance to mix with the essential oils, since it only takes a few drops. Many people use light oils like safflower or sweet almond oil to minimize evaporation, but for a low-cost diffuser distilled water works just fine. We had bottles of distilled water on hand so our cost was about twenty-five cents. Worst case scenario you can grab a single bottle from just about any store – Cost $1.
- Isopropyl alcohol. AKA rubbing alcohol. If you use water as the essential oil carrier, you will want to use some rubbing alcohol (vodka also works) to help speed up the oils travel up the sticks. Plus it helps keep bacteria from building up in the diffuser. Check your local dollar store – Cost: $1.
- Essential oils. We’re not including the cost of essential oils, since these can vary quite a bit. You’ll just need a few drops of your favorite oil(s).
Total cost: $3-4. Since we got the bottle and alcohol at the dollar store, the reeds at WalMart, and had a cheap bottle of distilled water on hand from a larger package (about $0.25 cost), our actual cost was about $3.19.
HOW TO MAKE YOUR OWN REED DIFFUSER
Once you have your materials together, you can easily make your own DIY essential oil reed diffuser. Here’s how:
- Wash out and dry the glass vase or jar
- Mix together:
- 1 cup distilled water
- 1 tbsp isopropyl alcohol
- 6-12 drops of essential oil
- Pour essential oil mixture into the vase
- Add 4-15 reeds or bamboo sticks
TIPS & TRICKS
Rattan Reeds VS Bamboo Skewers
Bamboo skewers are cheap. We bought ours for $0.94 at the local department store. You can also get them online. Here’s a set of rattan reeds that looks pretty good.
Rattan reeds work a little better than skewers, but for a low-budget option you really can’t beat the bamboo skewer sticks.
How to Get More Scent
The more often you flip the sticks, the more scent you get. The oil mix soaks into the wood sticks and slowly travels up, aided by the alcohol. To release more scent, flip the reeds on their ends so that the well-soaked end is up in the air.
Another way to get more scent is to increase the number of reeds. In larger open rooms, use 10-15 sticks. In a smaller area such as a bathroom you may prefer 4-8 so that the diffusion of oils does not overwhelm the room.
And of course the fail-safe way to get more scent is to use more drops of essential oil. But since that is the highest-cost part of your diffusion system, you might want to try the other options first.
You can extend the usage life of your mixture by minimizing water loss due to evaporation. The way to do this is by getting a glass jar or vase with the most narrow opening possible. You can also use a cork lid or mason jar lid and drill holes for the sticks to poke through.
Make an Essential Oil Diffuser Gift Basket
If the jar is big enough, you can place the alcohol, skewers, and a bottle of essential oil inside for a no-waste diffuser gift basket. Alternatively, place the items in a gift bag or get a basket container from the dollar store while you are getting the other supplies.
If you give this diffuser as a gift and want to include some essential oils, we recommend Jade Bloom as a premium-quality brand with a mid-range price point. You can shop for their oils here, no membership or subscription required.
PIN IT TO YOUR DIY BOARD
- 12 Amazingly Clean Movies You’ve Probably Never Seen Here are 12 amazing (and amazingly clean) movies you've probably never seen. Maybe you've never even heard of these. All the better, because you'r...
- 10 Heartwarming Sympathy Gift Ideas for a Grieving Friend When someone close to you loses a loved one, you want to do something to express your condolences and communicate that you are grieving alongside you...
- 100 Hilarious Quote Ideas for DIY Funny Birthday Cards You can spend five bucks on a pre-made card that is moderately funny, or you can make your own DIY funny birthday card that is actually hilarious. It...
- How to make Homeless Care Kits that ACTUALLY help So you want to bless the homeless or those less fortunate than you, but you don't want your efforts to be counterproductive. What should you put in h...
- The Massive List of Family-Friendly Movies That Grownups Love Too This is your go-to list for great family-friendly movies that grownups love too. Nearly 500 clean family-friendly movies that are appropriate for...
- 100+ Best “We Go Together Like…” Quotes We go together like... Copy and paste. Scarlett & Rhett. PB & J. If you're looking for the "perfect pair," we've gotcha covered...
- 20 Sympathy Gifts for Parents Who Have Lost a Child Today we are sharing with you 20 heartfelt sympathy gifts for parents who have lost a child. There is no greater pain in this world than losing a...
- 21 Thank You Gifts for Doctors to Show Your Appreciation You're on the hunt for the perfect thank you gift for your doctor. Your doctor is amazing and has always been there for you, keeping your health in c...
- 21 Useful and Creative Gifts for Farmers You want to find great gifts for farmers. You've come to the right place! If you're only halfheartedly looking around for some farmer gifts, y...
- 21 Beach Gifts for Beach Lovers: Practical, Fun, & Frisky If you're looking for beach gifts for beach lovers, you've come to the right place.... I love the beach! I think it would be safe to say I may be...