Last Updated on May 25, 2021
Here are 12 amazing (and amazingly clean) movies you’ve probably never seen. Maybe you’ve never even heard of these.
All the better, because you’re in for a treat!
These are mature, grown-up films for true movie aficionados that just simply don’t have any obscene content. Win-win. Some are even family-friendly and will be appreciated by youngsters.
Sometimes you just want to sit back and enjoy a great movie. You don’t want to worry about kinky stuff, excessive violence, filthy mouths, and all that other garbage. Sometimes what you want is just good, clean fun.
These movies fit the bill. But more than that, they’re actually pretty thoughtful, artistic, and dramatic. This isn’t a list of family-friendly cheese. Each title is well-written with top-notch acting and a creative plot. These are clean movies that adults will enjoy.
We’ll list each movie and the general ‘feel’ without giving away too much of the plot. Ranked by IMDB rating and then by RT, but remember that those aren’t always accurate because not everyone appreciates film the same way. Enjoy!
This post contains affiliate links. Our disclosure is kinda boring, but you can read it here if you like.
12 Amazing (& Amazingly Clean) Movies You’ve Probably Never Seen
Each of these are super-clean movies with stellar production, acting, plot, and more.
1. Babette’s Feast (1987)
G / 7.8 IMDB / 96% Tomatometer
A slow burner period drama for people who like old-fashioned village life, subtitles, and delicious food. For adults and teens. Watch >>
2. The Remains of the Day (1993)
PG / 7.8 IMDB / 95% Tomatometer
Anthony Hopkins and Emma Thompson with stunningly restrained performances.
James Ivory’s masterful direction.
An old-fashioned period drama based on the novel by one of the world’s best contemporary authors.
The well-ordered lives of butlers and housekeepers and servants in huge manors, before Downtown Abbey was even a thing.
What more could you want? For adults and teens. Watch >>
By the way: This movie is one of those very few that perfectly capture the book. Kazuo Ishiguro’s novel, which won the prestigious Booker Prize, is frequently mentioned as one of the best of the twentieth century. If you haven’t read it already, well… read it! Then watch the movie.
3. Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont (2011)
PG / 7.6 IMDB / 70% Tomatometer
A slow, sweet drama of friendship between an elderly widow and a young writer. For adults and teens. Watch >>
4. Never Cry Wolf (1983)
PG / 7.6 IMDB / 100% Tomatometer
A snowy drama about a wolf researcher. It has the Disney logo, and it’s about animals – usually two good reasons for adults to avoid. Don’t make that mistake! This is a masterpiece.
Good for the whole family, though, fair warning: a guy does run around naked for a bit with the typical blurred out/angled/strategic framing so you don’t really see anything. Watch >>
5. M. Hulot’s Holiday (1953)
G / 7.5 IMDB / 100% Tomatometer
Bumbling comedy in French. There’s more bumbling and comedy than French, so don’t let the (very few) subtitles scare you away. Probably the inspiration for Mr. Bean. Family-friendly. Watch >>
6. Rabbit-Proof Fence (2002)
PG / 7.4 IMDB / 88% Tomatometer
Set in the Austrailian Outback of 1931 during the government’s “progressive” integration program.
A thrilling triumph of will and familial love that is emotionally powerful and fun to watch.
Family-friendly, but there are some intense scenes where children are wrenched away from their families. Watch >>
7. The Winslow Boy (1999)
G / 7.3 IMDB / 97% Tomatometer
The crime was petty, but the boy denied it. So his father spends a vast fortune defending his honor in court.
A period piece set in early 20th century England, and a tale of honor, truth, and justice. Family-friendly. Watch >>
8. The Dead (1987)
G / 7.3 IMDB / 93% Tomatometer
Director John Huston’s final film, an adaptation of a short story from James Joyce’s Dubliners. A dinner party, and all-Irish cast, the melancholy feel of an artsy theatre production. For adults and teens. Watch >>
9. The Spanish Prisoner (1997)
PG / 7.2 IMDB / 88% Tomatometer
A labrynthine corporate thriller centered around a long con. Think the complexity of Ocean’s 11, but pretty much just people talking.
This is an “intelligent” rather than “flashy” film. One of my all-time personal favorites. For adults and teens. Watch >>
10. Bright Star (2009)
PG / 7.0 IMDB / 83% Tomatometer
The perfect choice for fans of John Keats, Jane Campion, poetry, and costume drama romances. Like a Jane Austen movie, but a little more moody and based on real life. For adults and teens; intimate (fully-clothed) kissing scenes. Watch >>
11. Strings (2004)
PG / 7.0 IMDB / 80% Tomatometer
A fantasy action flick made entirely with marionettes. What sets this film apart is that 1) it’s actually really entertaining, and 2) the puppet strings are an integral part of the storyline. For older children up to adults. Watch >>
12. The Golden Boys (2008)
PG / 6.0 IMDB / 28% Tomatometer
A cute, quaint, and charming story of three old codgers (A-list actors, all) who live by the sea and the introduction of a woman into their midst.
If that sounds corny to you, you are welcome to follow along with the Rotten Tomatoes crowd and their 28% fresh rating.
But you like a movie that just is what it is – a cute, quaint, and charming adult dramedy – then you’ll love this little gem. For adults and teens. Watch >>
Pin It To Your Family/Movie Board
Need more clean movie ideas? Get the Massive List of Family-Friendly Movies That Grownups Love Too, over 600 titles of highly-reviewed films rate PG or less.
- 10 Heartwarming Sympathy Gift Ideas for a Grieving Friend When someone close to you loses a loved one, you want to do something to express your condolences and communicate that you are grieving alongside your...
- 12 Amazingly Clean Movies You’ve Probably Never Seen Here are 12 amazing (and amazingly clean) movies you've probably never seen. Maybe you've never even heard of these. All the better, because you're...
- How to make Homeless Care Kits that ACTUALLY help So you want to bless the homeless or those less fortunate than you, but you don't want your efforts to be counterproductive. What should you put in ho...
- 100 Hilarious Quote Ideas for DIY Funny Birthday Cards You can spend five bucks on a pre-made card that is moderately funny, or you can make your own DIY funny birthday card that is actually hilarious. It'...
- 100+ Best “We Go Together Like…” Quotes We go together like... Copy and paste. Scarlett & Rhett. PB & J. If you're looking for the "perfect pair," we've gotcha covered. H...
- 20 Sympathy Gifts for Parents Who Have Lost a Child Today we are sharing with you 20 heartfelt sympathy gifts for parents who have lost a child. There is no greater pain in this world than losing a c...
- 21 Best Housewarming Gifts (That They Will Actually Use) How about let's give housewarming gifts that the new homeowners will actually use. After all, visiting a friend or family member who just purchased...
- 44 Best Gift Exchange Games & Clever Ideas for the Holidays How can I make my gift exchange more fun? Are you tired of just drawing names for the yearly holiday gift exchange? You want to breathe some new, c...
- 12 Thoughtful Gifts for Adult Children If you're in the market for gifts for adult children, you likely need a little inspiration finding the best ones. You know the days are long gone w...
- The Massive List of Family-Friendly Movies That Grownups Love Too This is your go-to list for great family-friendly movies that grownups love too. Nearly 500 clean family-friendly movies that are appropriate for a...