Last Updated on January 21, 2022
Are you looking for a new holiday tradition? How about a gift exchange game from Denmark that involves silly gifts, chance, patience, and a bit of frenzied mania?
What Is Pakkeleg?
Pakkeleg is a traditional Danish gift exchange game played during the holiday season which involves participants exchanging gifts based on rolling dice.
How Do You Play Pakkeleg?
What you need:
- 1-3 wrapped gifts from each participant
To play the Pakkeleg Christmas gift exchange game, everyone must bring one (or more) wrapped gifts. Typically, these are inexpensive things like candy, silly toys, or items from the dollar aisle.
Everyone piles the presents in the middle of the room or table. Each person takes turns rolling the dice. If someone rolls a 6, they can choose a present. Go around the room, with each person rolling the dice, until all presents are taken.
(And yes, some people might have more than one gift, while others have none. Life isn’t fair.)
Then the second round can begin. This time, set a timer for an agreed-upon amount of time. One minute per player works well, but you can do more or less. Once the timer begins, players take turns again rolling the dice but this time when a 6 is rolled you can steal a gift.
Everyone will want to roll as quickly a possible to have the most chances to steal gifts. Luck, mania, and joy indeed.
Once the time runs out, the game is over and everyone can unwrap their present(s)… or sit and sulk with none.
There are many ways to play this fun Danish gift exchange game. Here are a few popular variations.
While most gift exchanges require each participant to bring one gift, because of the chance factor in Pekkeleg some families often encourage or require people to bring multiple gifts. This helps ensure that everyone can at least get one gift during the course of the game.
This is one reason why families traditionally set the gift value for the game at about $2-4 per gift. You can also simply limit it to “dollar store” items.
When someone rolls a 3, everyone passes one gift (if they have one) clockwise, to the person on their left.
Most people apply this rule during the second round, which just adds to the frenzy.
Threes and sixes are the only numbers I’ve heard about regarding this game, but there’s nothing stopping you from assigning the other numbers.
- Double sixes: Lose all your gifts
- Snake eyes: You get to unwrap (and keep) a gift
- Twos: Take a drink (adults only!)
- Sevens: Name one of Santa’s reindeer
- Fives: Swap gifts with one person
Opening Gifts for Stealing
Most versions have people opening the gifts at the end of the game. But if you have people open the gifts at the end of the first round, the stealing is more direct or meaningful (or just plain mean) in the second round.
While you should always set a timer for round two, you don’t always have to let people know how long it’s going to be. Maybe it’s 30 seconds per person, maybe it’s 3 minutes per person.
If you keep it secret, no one can watch the clock and it can put the intensity into overdrive.
Die? Or Dice?
You can use one die, or a set of dice. With a pair of dice, each roll will have two chances to turn up a six. Or a three, for that matter.
If playing with a pair of dice, you will need to decide ahead of time whether to use only what shows up on each die, or the total, or both.
For round two, rolling a pair of threes could be the ultimate roll… will each person pass a gift to the left, twice (one for each 3 rolled)? Then does the roller gets to steal a gift (because the dice total is 6)? Or do they steal first, then pass?
This is a great game for nutty house rules.
More Gift Exchange Ideas
This is one of our favorite new holiday gift exchange games, but it’s certainly not the only one. (And it’s not new to you if you’ve ever been in Denmark during the holidays.)
Here are more than 40 creative gift exchange ideas to liven up your family gathering or office holiday party.
- 12 Amazingly Clean Movies You’ve Probably Never Seen Here are 12 amazing (and amazingly clean) movies you've probably never seen. Maybe you've never even heard of these. All the better, because you're...
- 21 Best Housewarming Gifts (That They Will Actually Use) How about let's give housewarming gifts that the new homeowners will actually use. After all, visiting a friend or family member who just purchased...
- 50 Perfect Retirement Gifts That Retirees Actually Love What's a better excuse for a party than a retirement? We can't think of anything! And what are some great retirement gifts for the well-deserved gu...
- How to make Homeless Care Kits that ACTUALLY help So you want to bless the homeless or those less fortunate than you, but you don't want your efforts to be counterproductive. What should you put in ho...
- 10 Heartwarming Sympathy Gift Ideas for a Grieving Friend When someone close to you loses a loved one, you want to do something to express your condolences and communicate that you are grieving alongside your...
- 100 Hilarious Quote Ideas for DIY Funny Birthday Cards You can spend five bucks on a pre-made card that is moderately funny, or you can make your own DIY funny birthday card that is actually hilarious. It'...
- 101 Best Old Age Jokes for Birthday Cards Getting old is no joke. **Pregnant pause.......** Of course it is! Getting old is hilarious. With each passing year, it's best to share a lau...
- 100+ Best “We Go Together Like…” Quotes We go together like... Copy and paste. Scarlett & Rhett. PB & J. If you're looking for the "perfect pair," we've gotcha covered. H...
- 3rd Anniversary Gifts: Best 3-Year Ideas (Traditional & Modern) Whew! You made it through the first two years of wedded bliss. "They" say the first two years are the hardest. Let's hope so. Marriage is a beautif...
- The Massive List of Family-Friendly Movies That Grownups Love Too This is your go-to list for great family-friendly movies that grownups love too. Nearly 500 clean family-friendly movies that are appropriate for a...