Let’s look at some letter ideas for your boyfriend in basic training.
You can’t see him right now, but you want to let him know how much you love him, that you are thinking of him, and that you are eagerly waiting for him to return home.
But what, exactly, should you say?
We’ve already helped our readers discover the best military boyfriend gifts as well as the most thoughtful and creative deployment gift ideas. Aside from sending gifts, how do you come up with the perfect words to say to your boyfriend in basic training?
We’ve put together three lists of 10 ideas for what to put into your letter or card.
First, we’ll have ten ideas of topics to write about. Second, we’ll have ten creative card/letter ideas to add some pizzazz to your mailing. Third and finally, we’ll share ten great quotes you can include to inspire and express your love.
Let’s dive it!
Our website is supported by our users. We sometimes earn a commission when you click through the affiliate links on our website. Learn more here.
What to Say in a Letter to Your Boyfriend in Basic Training
It’s hard when your boyfriend is away – training to protect our country while you cheer him on from home.
Here are some ideas for what to say when writing to him as he’s in basic training.
1. Say anything at all
Just write. Tell him anything and everything. Nothing is too mundane. He wants to hear it all! Tell him about what the dog or cat has been up to. Ask him to share his days with you.
2. Tell him about everyday things
Talk about your day. From the time your alarm went off until the minute you sat down to write to him. Relay your workday, what you ate for lunch, and who you talked to. Tell him about the traffic on the way home.
This provides some sense of normalcy when his life is being – rather purposefully, too – turned upside-down.
3. “I look forward to seeing you again!”
Let him know you miss him and cannot wait to be reunited! Tell him of the plans you are making for his homecoming. Talk about the next time you can go out to eat, to a movie, or out for a drink.
4. “You got this.”
Tell him you believe in him. There is nothing he can’t do! Let him know he’s strong and perfectly capable of making it through boot camp. Yes, it’s tough, but if anyone can do it, HE can!
5. “I’m proud of you!”
The armed forces aren’t for everyone. Let him know how proud you are of the rigorous training and the sacrifices he’s making. He is making a difference in this world.
6. Talk about local news.
Keep him up to date on all the local news and gossip. Let him know what the weather is like and what the forecast is. Tell him about the local sports teams; who’s playing who, and what the scores were.
7. Send bible verses to encourage him.
Colossians 3:23 – “Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters.”
John 15:13 – “Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.”
Isaiah 40:31 – “But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary; they will walk and not be faint.”
8. We can be just as strong apart as we are together.
Even though you are separated physically by miles, your hearts are united. You are faithful and loyal to each other.
9. You’re almost finished.
Basic training doesn’t last forever. It will eventually end. Keep that in mind, and remind him that the date is fast approaching when he will be home.
10. Tell him you love him
- I love you to the moon and back.
- You complete me.
- We fit together like puzzle pieces.
- I am here for you…always.
- I am yours, just like you are mine.
10 Letter Ideas for Boyfriend in Basic Training
Let’s go beyond what you say and think about how it looks. Add some artistic flourishes, create a memorable card, or add a thoughtful touch with these meaningful letter ideas.
1. Long Way From Home
This hand-made calligraphy notecard is a sweet way to let him know you are thinking of him. This is a thoughtful way to send a message to your patriotic recruit!
Imagine the smile that will be on his face each time he looks at this hand-written card.
2. Favorite Soldier
This card is designed with your favorite soldier in mind.
Open the card and write your heartfelt message to your soldier. Remind him just what he means to you. He will appreciate you and the time you have invested in him.
3. Personalized Pop-Up Card
This hand-made pop-up card is for anyone who loves our US army! The card features a hand grenade, bullet, dog tags, name, and age. The camouflage background adds a finishing touch.
This is a perfect way to say “Happy Birthday” to your soldier.
4. My Heart My Soldier
This hand-made card is sure to touch his heart every single time he looks at it. Your thoughtfulness will mean the world to him on those days he’s having a hard time with boot camp.
Sit down and write your true feelings in this sweet card and know you have touched him deeply.
5. Inspirational Cards
When you order this package, you will receive 120 pieces of motivational cards with 30 different designs. In addition, you can write down your encouragement on the blank backside of the card.
Each mini card measures about 3.5 x 2 inches and is made from sturdy cardstock. These note cards with motivational quotes such as “you are awesome,” “so proud of you,” “you are amazing” lets you express your appreciation and encouragement to your loved one.
6. Well Wishes
This digital file is printable from your home office or favorite printing company.
Send your military man encouragement and well wishes while he is away from you. Let him know that you are back at home, cheering him on!
7. Open When
These envelopes make for a perfect gift for a loved one who will spend time away from home. Send this bundle of special envelopes stuffed with your letters along with him to boot camp. He’ll be opening each one as instructed. It will be the highlight of the day/week/month!
This is a cute way to let him know you are thinking of him.
8. Classic Flag
These hand-made military cards say a lot, even before you write a personal note inside.
The notecards are printed on durable cardstock and will stand up to the many times he will open and read it repeatedly.
10. Letter Blanket
Choose from three sizes and three materials to send your loved one a cozy hug. On those long nights away, he is sure to appreciate this “letters from home” blanket.
The blanket is hand-made and will keep that special love letter for years to come. Your design will never fade, crack, or peel, keeping this memory in perfect condition.
You may also enjoy: Best Military Boyfriend Gifts for Your Officer or Enlisted Man
Positive Quotes to Add in Your Letter
Here are ten inspirational quotes to include in your letter, card, or care package to your boyfriend in basic training.
1. Hang in There
Hang in There
2. Learn To Rest
When you get tired, learn to rest not to quit
3. Believe in Yourself
Believe in yourself and anything is possible
4. Admiring Your Strength
Don’t forget, while you’re busy doubting yourself, someone else is admiring your strengthKristen Butler
5. Anything is Possible
Today, Anything is Possible!
Your only limit is your mind
7. Believe in You
I Believe in You
Faith Over Fear
9. Trust the Wait
Trust the wait. Embrace the uncertainty. Enjoy the beauty of the upcoming.
10. Don’t Give Up
Don’t give up because you had a bad day, forgive yourself and do better tomorrow
Not Sure What Else to Add in Your Letter? Try These!
- Add a questionnaire
- Add countdowns to your letters until the next time you see them
- Write about your day
- Include photos
- Share a funny story
- Send updates on their favorite sports teams or shows
- Scent the paper with your perfume or cologne
- Add an inspirational quote or scripture
- Decorate with your letter with stickers or pressed flowers
- Include comic strips or newspaper clippings
After reading this, you should have lots of new ideas for cards, quips, and surprises to send to your loved one!
- 12 Amazingly Clean Movies You’ve Probably Never Seen Here are 12 amazing (and amazingly clean) movies you've probably never seen. Maybe you've never even heard of these. All the better, because you're...
- 21 Best Housewarming Gifts (That They Will Actually Use) How about let's give housewarming gifts that the new homeowners will actually use. After all, visiting a friend or family member who just purchased...
- 50 Perfect Retirement Gifts That Retirees Actually Love What's a better excuse for a party than a retirement? We can't think of anything! And what are some great retirement gifts for the well-deserved gu...
- How to make Homeless Care Kits that ACTUALLY help So you want to bless the homeless or those less fortunate than you, but you don't want your efforts to be counterproductive. What should you put in ho...
- 10 Heartwarming Sympathy Gift Ideas for a Grieving Friend When someone close to you loses a loved one, you want to do something to express your condolences and communicate that you are grieving alongside your...
- 100 Hilarious Quote Ideas for DIY Funny Birthday Cards You can spend five bucks on a pre-made card that is moderately funny, or you can make your own DIY funny birthday card that is actually hilarious. It'...
- 101 Best Old Age Jokes for Birthday Cards Getting old is no joke. **Pregnant pause.......** Of course it is! Getting old is hilarious. With each passing year, it's best to share a lau...
- 100+ Best “We Go Together Like…” Quotes We go together like... Copy and paste. Scarlett & Rhett. PB & J. If you're looking for the "perfect pair," we've gotcha covered. H...
- 3rd Anniversary Gifts: Best 3-Year Ideas (Traditional & Modern) Whew! You made it through the first two years of wedded bliss. "They" say the first two years are the hardest. Let's hope so. Marriage is a beautif...
- The Massive List of Family-Friendly Movies That Grownups Love Too This is your go-to list for great family-friendly movies that grownups love too. Nearly 500 clean family-friendly movies that are appropriate for a...