Last Updated on July 31, 2020
The best gifts for musicians are those off-the-beaten-path gift ideas that are both awesome and just a little bit quirky.
Because – let’s face it – musicians are weird. So a quirky gift for a musician is weirdly fitting. As a musician myself (guitar, and I tinker around on a banjo) I know that musicians like gifts that are just a little bit… different.
Our website is supported by our users. We sometimes earn a commission when you click through the affiliate links on our website. Learn more here.
Musicians Like Quirky Gifts
For instance, consider a new instrument. Something moderately simple that creates a unique sound. That’s a great gift.
It actually doesn’t matter a whole lot if we actually play it, or – for non-instrument gifts – use it. Just having interesting and quirky music-related stuff is tons o’ fun.
This means that, for most oddball musicians, whatever you get them will be a success. Just be sure to take into account their interests; for example, a classical music enthusiast will probably like different things than, say, someone who is into rap.
But then again, music is a great unifier, and people are always coming up with ways to marry diverse styles. So in reality someone who plays the violin may love a death metal distortion pedal, and you don’t have to be into blues or throat singing to enjoy the marvelous documentary Ghengis Blues.
Enough said. Here are 21 great gifts for musicians. Mostly instruments, but there are some other cool accessories and stuff.
21 Awesome Gifts for Musicians
1. Theremin (Moog)
The Theremin – the only instrument you play without touching – is so weirdly awesome it just has to be #1 on our list of gifts for musicians. The Moog is the standard in Theremin instruments.
2. Personalized Tumbler Musician Gift
Personalization is always a good idea. For the musician in your life, custom engrave a stainless steel tumbler in your choice of color (or regular stainless steel finish).
Available at Northwest Gifts, we can laser etch these tumblers with any text or clipart. Is your musician friend in a band, and do they have a logo? We can engrave that!
These tumblers make great gift ideas because not only are they personalized, but they keep their coffee/tea blazing hot throughout a long practice session. Plus it will keep their healthy green-based smoothies cold during those long road trips to their next gig. A must-have gift!
3. Thumb Piano (Kalimba)
Thumb pianos are a super-nerdy gift idea for a musician. Check out these premium mahogany wood thumb pianos, which includes note listings and a tuning hammer. The triple sound hole creates beautiful sound, and looks great too!
4. Guitar Wall Hanger Shaped Like a Pick
Cleverly shaped like a guitar pick, this is a neat way to wall mount a guitar. Made in the USA in six different designs, it includes personalization of name and guitar name. Available here.
5. Bluegrass Jaw Harp
The jaw harp provides that special sound that is a distinctive of hillbilly bluegrass. Perfect as a stocking stuffer gift for musicians.
5. Personalized Soundwaves Print
This is a great idea… a personalized etching of the soundwaves of your musician’s favorite song. Unique, quirky, personalized, and just plain awesome.
6. Guitar Toilet Seat
You asked for weird… here it is! Made by Jammin’ Johns (seriously!). These come in acoustic guitar, electric guitar, and piano.
7. Floating Bluetooth Speaker
It’s like a mini space station that sits in your home and plays music. Get it here.
8. Hydropowered Bluetooth Shower Speaker
The thing about those waterproof shower speakers is that they always need to be recharged. You un-suction them, charge them (oh wait, where’d the charger go? < That’s the current status of ours), and then go to re-suction them and they don’t stick.
But not this one – it uses the water pressure from your shower to recharge! Heck stinking yes.
So your musician or music lover will never have to worry about not having tunes in the shower. They will be thrilled to get this as a gift.
9. Nychelharpa T-Shirt
Do you know the difference between a nyckelharpa, a dymeharpa, and a quartyrharpa? Not many do.
Musicians love weird niche stuff, so even if the musician in your life doesn’t play these instruments, they’ll love this gift. Get it here.
11. DIY Synth Kit
When you ask about things that never go out of style, most people will probably say a classy suit or a little black dress.
But musicians are weird, so don’t be surprised that we say the correct answer is “synthesizers.” If that sounds about right, get the musician in your life this DIY Synth Kit.
(If they already have this there’s also the DIY Speaker Kit. Just sayin.)
12. Guitar Doorbell
This is fun, and maybe something you can DIY. When the door is opened, it strums your guitar!
Check out the Guitar Doorbell Kit, but make sure you have your volume down before clicking the link! I had mine pumped up and I nearly jumped out of my swivel chair when this circa-1995 website loaded with its auto-play strum sound effect. Sheesh.
The strumstick sounds like a cross between a banjo and a dulcimer, and can be picked or strummed. A fun addition to your stringed instrument collection. Get it here.
14. Major Scale Wine Glass Set
For the musician who loves wine… a set of wine glasses that guides you to playing the major scale. These come in sets of two, so you’ll need 4 sets to get all 8 notes in the major scale to play at once. Get them here.
You may also be interested in some engraved wine glasses custom etched with anything you like – the silhouettes of classical composers, the name of the recipient’s band, a favorite song quote.
15. Guitar Amp Key Holder
Here’s a great stocking stuffer for the electric guitarist or bass player. This wall-mounted key ring holder uses 1/4″ input jacks to store your keys when not in use.
The Didgeridoo is almost a parody of itself as the go-to weird niche instrument. It’s so mainstreamly-unique that to have one is actually kinda ironic in the hipster sense.
17. Stylophone Pocket Synthesizer
Snyths are just cool. So a pocket-sized one that you play with a stylus? Super cool. Get it here.
18. Playable Washboard Tie
Grab a pair of thimbles and play along with any bluegrass tune. Best of all, you can wear this anywhere and play it anytime! Here it is.
19. Stumpf Fiddle
The Stumpf Fiddle is a weird percussion instrument. Sometimes also referred to as a stomp stick, this is basically a pogo stick (which makes a thump on the ground) plus all sorts of percussion accessories all rolled into one. Get it here.
20. Build Your Own Ukulele Kit
Build your own ukulele? Yes please.
21. Playable Rock ‘n Roll T-Shirt
Bring your rock ‘n roll with you wherever you go with this tshirt that has a guitar YOU CAN ACTUALLY PLAY.
You can strum this shirt and it will play any major chord. (Except on laundry day.) Available here.
More Interesting Music Gifts
- Personalized Vintage Style Guitar Plaques (Country, Blues, and more)
- Subscription to music streaming services – Apple Music, Spotify, Google Play, etc.
- Engrave favorite song lyrics or sheet music on an Alder Wood Plaque
- Vintage Style Record Player – Plays classic vinyl records with modern tech
- Custom Engraved Drum Sticks
- Cajon – This drumming instrument used to be in the “weird” category, but it’s getting more mainstream. Anyone with a sense of rhythm will love it.
- This tshirt:
… and this mug for anybody who was ever in choir:
Pin it to save it!
What are some of your favorite weird musician gift ideas?
- 44 Exciting Gift Exchange Ideas & Games for the Holidays How can I make my gift exchange more fun? Are you tired of just drawing names for the yearly holiday gift exchange? You want to breathe some new, crea...
- Left-Right Game Gift Exchange [+5 Free Printable Stories] The left-right passing game is a really fun way to do a gift exchange. Whether you're doing a gift swap for the holidays or an office party or just be...
- What to Put on Your Christmas List Are you asking, "What should I put on my Christmas list?" Your family and friends have been bugging you, but you have no idea what to tell them. Well...
- 12 Thoughtful Gifts for Adult Children If you're in the market for gifts for adult children, you likely need a little inspiration finding the best ones. You know the days are long gone when...
- How to make Homeless Care Kits that ACTUALLY help So you want to bless the homeless or those less fortunate than you, but you don't want your efforts to be counterproductive. What should you put in ho...
- 200 Simple Birthday Wishes for Everyone, at Every Age When it comes to wishing someone a happy birthday, you want to show your gratitude and love with the right words to say. Often, short and sweet...
- 100 Funny Christmas Card Messages [Not TOO Naughty] It's the holiday season! Which means that it's time to write some Christmas cards. Funny Christmas cards. Because laughing is everyone's favorite. So...
- 12 Amazingly Clean Movies You’ve Probably Never Seen Here are 12 amazing (and amazingly clean) movies you've probably never seen. Maybe you've never even heard of these. All the better, because you're in...
- 13 Best Gifts for a 13 Year Old Girl Perfect for the tween going into the teen years, these sweet ideas are sure to please! We don't know about you, but 13 year old girls are as eclectic...
- The 21 Worst Gift Ideas Ever. DO NOT READ These are, without a doubt, the 21 worst gift ideas ever. They're so bad that you probably should stop reading right now. Just go away. We have to do...