Last Updated on July 31, 2020
National Taco Day is an important holiday. Let’s learn a little about what it is, when it is, and how to observe it with an appropriate measure of enthusiasm and circumspection.
Our website is supported by our users. We sometimes earn a commission when you click through the affiliate links on our website. Learn more here.
National Taco Day FAQs
When is National Taco Day?
National Taco Day is celebrated annually on October 4th.
What is National Taco Day?
National Taco Day, or NTD as us hardcore celebrants call it, is a day to honor the monumental role that tacos have played in our lives.
It is a day to pause in our busy lives and commemorate the many tacos who have paid the ultimate sacrifice.
It is a day to honor the hard work and dedication of taco creatives, from the cooks in taco trucks and restaurants to chefs and recipe authors and yes, even bells.
And lastly, it is a day to rededicate ourselves, individually and collectively, to greater and better taco consumption.
Who celebrates National Taco Day?
Everyone who loves tacos celebrates National Taco Day.
Why do tacos get their own holiday?
Mostly because tacos are delicious.
What do people do on National Taco Day?
This is a very important question, and we’re going to spend the rest of the article talking about what people do (or should do) on NTD.
How did National Taco Day start?
Someone registered “National Taco Day” for October 4, 2009, on one of those “create a holiday” websites like this one or maybe just declaring it so. Nobody seems to know.
But seriously, who cares? Let’s talk about eating and celebrating and eating tacos.
How to Celebrate National Taco Day
1. Eat tacos
This should go without saying. EAT. TACOS. That’s the first, last, and best way to celebrate National Taco Day.
2. Wear taco shirts
When I want your opinion, I’ll tell you to get me tacos. Or something.
This is actually the official t-shirt of National Taco Day. Required for entrance at some of the better parties.
3. Eat more tacos
Pro tip: Skip breakfast so you’re extra hungry at lunch.
Pro tip for real pros: Just eat tacos for breakfast.
4. Play a taco board game
This taco board game is perfect for the one day of the year in which tacos MUST take over.
5. Make your own tacos
Do yourself a favor and make these shredded chicken street tacos.
6. Snuggle with this taco plush
This is a 17″ taco, people. Better than all your throw pillows put together. Plus, it goes with every decor scheme, like, ever.
7. Take pics of all the tacos on National Taco Day
Celebrate National Taco Day by taking all the pics of all the tacos. Mmmmmm, mmm!
8. Eat more tacos
I’ve honestly never seen someone hold a taco like that before. It still looks good, though…
9. Read “Dragons Love Tacos”
Did you know that dragons love tacos?
They love beef tacos and chicken tacos.
They love really big gigantic tacos and tiny
little baby tacos as well.
Thus begins the all-time best-selling book about tacos.
10. Tell taco jokes
Q: Why can’t you trust a taco?
A: It might spill the beans.
Customer: “Waiter, this taco tastes funny!”
Waiter: “Then why aren’t you laughing?”
My idiot friend keeps saying, “Every time I go to Taco Bell, I get diarrhea.” I said, “Try ordering Tacos instead, moron.”
I’m thankful that I don’t have to hunt for food.
I don’t even know where tacos live.
Q: How do you make a taco stand?
A: You take away its chair.
Q: How do tacos say grace?
A: Lettuce pray.
11. Look at pics of beautiful beautiful tacos
Did you know that there are entire websites devoted to pictures? Yep. There’s one called “Insta-graham” that is popular with all the kids these days. You could spend hours looking at pics of delicious tacos.
12. Stock up on taco toppings
A partial resource list for taco toppings:
- Green Onions
- Carmelized Onions
- Bell Peppers
- Limes (Lime Juice)
- Sour Cream
- Shredded Cheese (Mozzarella, Pepper Jack, Queso Fresco, etc)
13. Wear taco socks
Because the only time I won’t be kicking up my feet on National Taco Day is when I’m going out for tacos.
14. Hit up a taco truck
Just find one. They’re all good. Literally. Every single taco truck = delicious. You can’t go wrong. Just go.
15. Color a taco coloring book
Tacos aren’t just for eating. They’re for coloring, too. I like to color while I eat tacos, and use the grease and sauces that drip down to fingerpaint. It adds an authentic aroma to the art that is just plain… special.
As in, special sauce.
Which we all know is just mayo and chili powder. But we don’t care because it’s delicious.
16. Organize your taco recipes
This is actually a pretty cute recipe box. I just wish I had that many great taco recipes….
17. Throw a taco party
Here’s a quick guide to throwing a taco party:
- Throw a regular party
- Have tacos
18. Use these awesome dino taco holders
Get them for your kids for a super special taco day!
Ok who are we kidding. Get them for yourself.
18. Let your baby gum on this cute taco toy set
It’s never to early to get your offspring hooked on tacos. This set includes a taco teething toy, an avocado rattle, and a pair of lemon-lime clackers.
19. Get your dog in on the fun with this taco doggie chew toy
Maybe you feed your dog taco scraps under the table. Or maybe you don’t. Either way, the easiest way to get your pet pup in on the National Taco Day celebration is to get this taco chew toy, which includes two squeakers to keep your little BFF busy while you taco it up.
20. This unicorn eats tacos and farts
We just thought you should know. It’s relevant to National Taco Day. Because, tacos.
21. Wear these taco pajamas to bed
…and dream of next year. October 4th can’t come too quickly!!
- 10 Heartwarming Sympathy Gift Ideas for a Grieving Friend When someone close to you loses a loved one, you want to do something to express your condolences and communicate that you are grieving alongside your...
- 12 Amazingly Clean Movies You’ve Probably Never Seen Here are 12 amazing (and amazingly clean) movies you've probably never seen. Maybe you've never even heard of these. All the better, because you're...
- How to make Homeless Care Kits that ACTUALLY help So you want to bless the homeless or those less fortunate than you, but you don't want your efforts to be counterproductive. What should you put in ho...
- 100 Hilarious Quote Ideas for DIY Funny Birthday Cards You can spend five bucks on a pre-made card that is moderately funny, or you can make your own DIY funny birthday card that is actually hilarious. It'...
- 100+ Best “We Go Together Like…” Quotes We go together like... Copy and paste. Scarlett & Rhett. PB & J. If you're looking for the "perfect pair," we've gotcha covered. H...
- 20 Sympathy Gifts for Parents Who Have Lost a Child Today we are sharing with you 20 heartfelt sympathy gifts for parents who have lost a child. There is no greater pain in this world than losing a c...
- 21 Best Housewarming Gifts (That They Will Actually Use) How about let's give housewarming gifts that the new homeowners will actually use. After all, visiting a friend or family member who just purchased...
- 44 Best Gift Exchange Games & Clever Ideas for the Holidays How can I make my gift exchange more fun? Are you tired of just drawing names for the yearly holiday gift exchange? You want to breathe some new, c...
- 12 Thoughtful Gifts for Adult Children If you're in the market for gifts for adult children, you likely need a little inspiration finding the best ones. You know the days are long gone w...
- The Massive List of Family-Friendly Movies That Grownups Love Too This is your go-to list for great family-friendly movies that grownups love too. Nearly 500 clean family-friendly movies that are appropriate for a...