Last Updated on July 31, 2020
After making a list of 10 Classic Board Games, we thought we’d try our hand at rounding up some modern classics for gift giving, family fun, game night, and party games.
Here is our list of 10 Modern Classic Board Games. Each of these will be a treasured and well-played gift.
Our website is supported by our users. We sometimes earn a commission when you click through the affiliate links on our website. Learn more here.
Cranium is a great game for a small party or family night. Teams work together to race around the board by completing a mix of 14 hilarious activities, including trivia, sculpting, acting, and sketching.
2. Apples to Apples
Apples to Apples is “the game of hilarious comparisons.” The name of the game is a play on the phrase “apples to oranges,” and the game is about making comparisons between different things.
General game play is as follows: players are dealt red cards which have a noun printed on them, and the judge (a different player in each turn) draws a green card on which an adjective is printed and places it for all players to see. Each player then chooses a red card they are holding that they think best describes the green card. The judge then decides which adjective she likes best.
3. Ticket to Ride
Ticket to Ride is an easy to learn strategy game involving a cross-country train adventure.
Players collect train cards that enable them to claim railway routes connecting cities throughout North America. The longer the routes, the more points they earn. Additional points come to those who can fulfill their Destination Tickets by connecting two distant cities, and to the player who builds the longest continuous railway.
4. Settlers of Catan
Settlers of Catan is the first and most popular of the new wave of strategy games originating in Germany.
Settlers of Catan is an award-winning strategy game where players collect resources and use them to build roads, settlements and cities on their way to victory. The board itself is variable, making each game a little different from the next.
Each round of The Settlers of Catan is intended to keep three or four players ages 10 and above engaged for up to 90 minutes.
Carcassonne is a tile laying game of similar style to Settlers of Catan, but simpler and easier to learn. This is our family’s favorite.
Each player develops the area around Carcassonne while deploying their followers on the roads, in the cities, in the cloisters, and in the fields. The skill of the players to develop the area will determine who is victorious. The game is for ages 8 and up and 2 to 5 players.
Dominion is another popular strategy game in the style of Settlers of Catan. You are a monarch, like your parents before you, a ruler of a small pleasant kingdom of rivers and evergreens. Unlike your parents, however, you have hopes and dreams. You want a bigger and more pleasant kingdom, with more rivers and a wider variety of trees. You want a Dominion.
In all directions lie fiefs, freeholds, and feodums. All are small bits of land, controlled by petty lords and verging on anarchy. You will bring civilization to these people, uniting them under your banner. But wait. It must be something in the air, several other monarchs have had the exact same idea. You must race to get as much of the unclaimed land as possible, fending them off along the way. To do this you will hire minions, construct buildings, spruce up your castle, and fill the coffers of your treasury.
Qwirkle is an addictive strategy game in the tradition of Sequence, Scrabble, and Othello. Mix, match, and score to win – but the strategy is based on colors and shapes rather than numbers or letters. A fun game for the whole family (ages 6 and up).
Bananagrams a simple and speedy word game that needs no pencil, paper, or board.Players race against each other to build crossword grids and use all their letter tiles first. Perfect as a stocking stuffer this holiday season!
Telestrations is the visual equivalent of the classic school-yard game “telephone.” It’s a fun-filled sketching game in which everyone’s attempts at “art” can turn hilarious.
The game starts with a secret word that is passed from player to player. As the word is sketched, interpreted, and then sketched again, it undergoes a visual transformation that will surprise and delight everyone. Designed for players ages 13 and up, Telestrations is sure to be a hit at parties.
Morphology is a fun, creative and challenging party board game combining simple shapes, your imagination and creativity.
Using wooden sticks, glass beads and colored cubes how would you create a “butterfly” or “airplane”. Now try doing it with your eyes closed or using only the string. Morphology takes unique twists and turns, and has everyone laughing out loud.
Now, what are some of your favorite modern games?
- 44 Best Gift Exchange Games & Clever Ideas for the Holidays How can I make my gift exchange more fun? Are you tired of just drawing names for the yearly holiday gift exchange? You want to breathe some new, c...
- What to Put on Your Christmas List Are you asking, "What should I put on my Christmas list?" Your family and friends have been bugging you, but you have no idea what to tell them. ...
- 12 Thoughtful Gifts for Adult Children If you're in the market for gifts for adult children, you likely need a little inspiration finding the best ones. You know the days are long gone w...
- 21 Best Housewarming Gifts (That They Will Actually Use) How about let's give housewarming gifts that the new homeowners will actually use. After all, visiting a friend or family member who just purchased...
- Left-Right Game Gift Exchange [+5 Free Printable Stories] The left-right passing game is a really fun way to do a gift exchange. Whether you're doing a gift swap for the holidays or an office party or just...
- How to make Homeless Care Kits that ACTUALLY help So you want to bless the homeless or those less fortunate than you, but you don't want your efforts to be counterproductive. What should you put in ho...
- 21 Useful and Creative Gifts for Farmers You want to find great gifts for farmers. You've come to the right place! If you're only halfheartedly looking around for some farmer gifts, yo...
- 12 Amazingly Clean Movies You’ve Probably Never Seen Here are 12 amazing (and amazingly clean) movies you've probably never seen. Maybe you've never even heard of these. All the better, because you're...
- 100 Funny Christmas Card Messages [Not TOO Naughty] It's the holiday season! Which means that it's time to write some Christmas cards. Funny Christmas cards. Because laughing is everyone's favorite. ...
- 100 Hilarious Quote Ideas for DIY Funny Birthday Cards You can spend five bucks on a pre-made card that is moderately funny, or you can make your own DIY funny birthday card that is actually hilarious. It'...